IGNORED

ULTRASATAN

lotharek

dear all,

i changed a little bit offer, becasue i got mails : I WANT EXTERNAL UNIT BUT WITHOUT DMA CABEl...ETC

and of course :

Item`s ordered are delivered ALWAYS according to order.. no other option ;-) so, no worries.. please :-) just let me work and control production flow :-)

Awesome. Thanks.

About the power connector. Will we need to adapt a floppy power lead or will the device come with that little adapter like in the picture? (i think its an adapter) I just want to be ready to use the device when it reaches me. :) Thanks!

Many Thanks! Just worried because it's a lot of money to me and I wouldnt know where to get the cable from :P Really appreciate everything you've done with these devices for retro computers. It's a real achievement the stuff you've produced so far. Can't wait for the floppy emul to arrive, that will keep me busy until the SATAN's are ready =)

PCB is universal, but :

- for internal version power connector from floppy is used (5V)

- extrnal will be in case and will need You mobile phone charger ( also 5V)

why this solution ?

i`m unable to delivery power supplies around the world - You know - diffrenct plugs, 230 or 110 V ...etc etc. and usb charger i think everybody has home already.

PCB is universal, but :

why this solution ?

i`m unable to delivery power supplies around the world - You know - diffrenct plugs, 230 or 110 V ...etc etc. and usb charger i think everybody has home already.

Nice. Again, looking forward to it.

PCB is universal, but :

why this solution ?

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the internals of the (in my case) MegaSTE... if you use the floppy 5V for the UltraSatan, does that mean that you can't use the floppy drive any more? Or is there some kind of internal splitter/loop-through for the floppy power cable?

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the internals of the (in my case) MegaSTE... if you use the floppy 5V for the UltraSatan, does that mean that you can't use the floppy drive any more? Or is there some kind of internal splitter/loop-through for the floppy power cable?

Thanks!

I think the internal model is made to mount in place of the floppy. No sure though. There is only one floppy power connector in the MSTe. And one HDD connector.

So you would need a splitter.

You could mount the USatan in place of a HDD, but you would have to cut a slot for the card.... or just plan to never remove the card.

I guess you can not tighten the screw under the machine and flip the hdd lid up to access the card. :)

Edited by Official Ninja

Personally, I do not see a need for an internal Ultrasatan. If you want to replace the internal Mega ST/STE drive, I would rather get a Suska Gigafile with internal adapter. It's expensive, but is more appropriate for the situation. You really only need one slot for an internal drive. You are going to need to cut 2 slots since they are side by side if you want access to the cards. I don't like the idea of cutting cases, but it's up to you.

Why also have a clock? The Megas already have a clock in the computer.

To me, the Ultrasatan is really made to be an external device.

Personally, I do not see a need for an internal Ultrasatan. If you want to replace the internal Mega ST/STE drive, I would rather get a Suska Gigafile with internal adapter. It's expensive, but is more appropriate for the situation. You really only need one slot for an internal drive. You are going to need to cut 2 slots since they are side by side if you want access to the cards. I don't like the idea of cutting cases, but it's up to you.

Don't forget that there is an internal Ultrasatan cable made by Alan H.

at AtariForum that replaces the internal controller in the Mega STe

and the STacy. Works like a charm. I've got one in my STacy.

So with a little dremel work, you can easily fit one inside these

Atari models.

Here is the cable:

post-5822-0-34026000-1359448667_thumb.jpg

and here is an example of a little dremel :) work:

post-5822-0-55235900-1359449092_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, I have no intention of cutting up my MegaSTE case. I'll just install the UltraSatan with a large flash card and be done with it.

I think having an internal option for the UltraSatan is great. It allows one to remove the old, noisy, hot and potentially unreliable platter drive and make the computer wholly solid state. I wasn't even aware the Suska drive existed until you mentioned it, and although it looks like a nice device, the UltraSatan is cheaper. I actually ordered 2 UltraSatans - an internal one for my MegaSTE and an external unit for my older 1040ST... I may not have sprung for 2 units if they would have been as expensive as the Suska was. Not putting the Suska down; as I said, it looks like a great device and the SCSI compatibility is definitely a bonus, but the UltraSatan will serve my purpose just fine.

Actually, while there's been some discussion about the internal UltraSatan in the MegaSTE, I would like to ask the following:

Does anyone know if you could unplug the cooling fans in a MegaSTE once an UltraSatan is installed? My understanding is that the bulk of the heat generated inside the case was because of the hard drive, but once that is removed, could the fans be unplugged to create a totally noiseless MSTE? Or should the fans be left going to keep the power supply and motherboard cool? I seem to recall reading somewhere once that the MegaSTE without a hard drive is pretty much the same as a 1040ST - which was a fan-less computer (although the case design is different).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I have put an Ultrasatan inside my Mega STE, with the abovementioned adapter from Alan H. It works very well and I can use my Satandisk with the external connection. My only gripe is that I lost the LED activity light on the front. I've been considering switching to the Gigafile but also think it's a tad expensive.

I've also been considering removing the fan but another option is to put a resistance on it to make it run slower. Will try that if I can bother to remove the case top sometime.

I have put an Ultrasatan inside my Mega STE, with the abovementioned adapter from Alan H. It works very well and I can use my Satandisk with the external connection. My only gripe is that I lost the LED activity light on the front. I've been considering switching to the Gigafile but also think it's a tad expensive.

I've also been considering removing the fan but another option is to put a resistance on it to make it run slower. Will try that if I can bother to remove the case top sometime.

Lotharek is also selling a MegaSTE adapter with his version of the UltraSatan. As for the LED activity light, didn't he (Lotharek) mention at one point that it would be available for the internal version (perhaps one could disconnect the LED on the PCB, and connect the cable for the Mega's activity LED instead)? Might be worth dropping Lotharek an e-mail to confirm.

I thought the fan is to keep the power supply cool. I wouldn't remove it.

Intact I think the vents on the case should be larger for more flow.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

I think the vent size is probably fine... I certainly used my MegaSTE for years without any issues. I'd be curious how much more juice the MegaSTE's power supply puts out in comparison to the old 1040ST's power supply. If they're the same supply, then theoretically you should be able to reduce the amount of airflow required - assuming, of course, that the hard drive is removed and replaced with an UltraSatan or Gigafile. I don't know how much the design of the 1040's case helps with heat dissipation, but if the 1040ST could work without fans, then perhaps the modded MegaSTE could as well.

I just checked with Lotharek, and he says that his new internal UltraSatans will allow you to hook the MegaSTE activity LED to the PCB (apparently there will be special connectors just for this). I know it doesn't help you with your UltraSatan, but I just thought I'd pass this along for those who might be interested.

Looking at my Mega STe, I would have to agree with Official Ninja - the fan is an integral

part of the PSU and I'd be loathe to remove it as well.

Ah, I didn't realize the fan was integrated with the PSU. For some reason I thought it was separate and removable/replaceable... I really have to open up my MSTE and see what's inside! :-)

The pico PSU sounds interesting... Will have to look into it. Cheers!

Well, here is a picture - you can tell more from it:

post-5822-0-76008400-1359598482_thumb.jpeg

So just for the record, you might be able to remove

or disconnect the fan with no problems. I'm just not

sure how much of a difference the fan makes.

But...just looking at it, I'd have to wonder... :)

HTHs.

You could replace the fan with one from Quiet PC. I have a few that I have yet to install (I will one day!), but I did install one on my Falcon. It is so quiet I forget that it's there! Combined with a CF card drive, I have a virtually silent Falcon. It might be the same for you.

I just checked with Lotharek, and he says that his new internal UltraSatans will allow you to hook the MegaSTE activity LED to the PCB (apparently there will be special connectors just for this). I know it doesn't help you with your UltraSatan, but I just thought I'd pass this along for those who might be interested.

Thanks for the info, it might persuade me to get the internal version actually.

As for the fan, I suppose it's there for a reason so I wouldn't want to remove it completely. It can be replaced easily if you lift the PSU out of the case. I wonder whether a slightly slimmer fan might cause less noise since it would leave a little gap between it and the grill in the case.

Aren't the quiet fans just operating at slower speed than the noisy ones? Then I believe a resistor on the fan cable might give the same result. I already did this in a Mac LC475 which brought down the noise considerably. It also has a CF card reader so sitting under the desk it's practically noiseless to me.

This is a peek at the prototype beta testing board. Please let me know if you have any questions about it or you want me to perform any specific tests. It is, in functional terms, just like the older UltraSatan devices, as you'd expect; it's just easier to power, has the cards side by side (easier to remove) and is a professional screen printed multilayer board with surface mounted components.

Link to my post on Atari-Forums: New ULTRASATAN prototype

Regards

JonB