IGNORED

Space Duel 7800

Kombalar

Have you seen the 7800 version of this arcade game?

I have never played this 7800 conversion but it looks pretty damn good on this YouTube vid and I'm surprised I didn't find more information of it on Google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSxe2IuOf0

I loved the original arcade machine and I still play it on MAME (see my signature for a gameplay vid).

Cheers.

Space Duel is definitely a great one. I think I enjoy this port more than I do the emulations of the actual arcade game. I know it's "just" an extensive Asteroids hack, but something about playing it feels like a more authentic early 80s arcade at home experience. It really feels like the home port of Space Duel I always wanted in the 80s.

@Gabriel: That's what I thought as well. I would have given my left nut for that conversion back in the 80's.

@sqoon: I agree on all counts... except that 7800 probably couldn't quite handle Star Wars properly. The gameplay was heavily tied to the yoke and very precise, accurate controls. I played 30 million points in the original arcade machine (until I quit because of boredom) but as you can see from my MAME video I can only get 2 million with a mouse (and using 3 extra shields). The whole "kick" of this game was the later levels which had some interesting twists... those required very precise yoke handling.

Domark made pretty decent attempt for Amiga and ST but even those versions couldn't hold a candle to the original. The successor, ESB, would be much better candidate for 7800. It wasn't as "controller-heavy" game.

Cheers.

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to say Space Duel is the first game I buy because I know his author!

Yes, I have bought things like Matrix Reloaded (Game Cube game) and Star Wars (Atari) because I knew the films not the programmer.

I didn't know Space Duel Arcade or any conversion of the game, I followed DeCrescenzo and I must say I'm totally happy with the game!

Awesome game as expected. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The other day i was thinking about a good old Atari Arcade game that would be perfect for the 7800.

The arcade version of "avatar"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PLmAIyTOqGQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPLmAIyTOqGQ

Sorry for pushing ideas again, LoL.

I think PMP could pull this one off though. :)