IGNORED

Adjusting the pokey without a diagnostic cart?

Atari the Jedi

So I have been putting together a 5200 with several games in a couple of controllers to give away for Christmas unfortunately it appears with many games that the pokey is not adjusted properly. I do not have a diagnostic or test cartridge for this. Is there another way that I can be able to adjust the pokey? Or are there reproductions of the diagnostic cart? I will admit I have relearned a lot of things by cracking out my 5200 these past few months, however, I've never done anything like this before, And I really want to work for Christmas for my brother.

So I have been putting together a 5200 with several games in a couple of controllers to give away for Christmas unfortunately it appears with many games that the pokey is not adjusted properly. I do not have a diagnostic or test cartridge for this. Is there another way that I can be able to adjust the pokey? Or are there reproductions of the diagnostic cart? I will admit I have relearned a lot of things by cracking out my 5200 these past few months, however, I've never done anything like this before, And I really want to work for Christmas for my brother.

If you have pitfall! You can adjust the knob until harry is able to climb up and down ladders.

Of course this assumes the controller itself is in proper order.

I really do recommend the AtariMax SD cart. It might be a bunch of cash to lay out at once but in the end it is worth it, giving you access to the entire 5200 library. Including the diagnostic ROM.

• Like 1

Adjust the knob! LOL!

If you have pitfall! You can adjust the knob until harry is able to climb up and down ladders.

Of course this assumes the controller itself is in proper order.

I really do recommend the AtariMax SD cart. It might be a bunch of cash to lay out at once but in the end it is worth it, giving you access to the entire 5200 library. Including the diagnostic ROM.

I had pretty good luck once by using a Missile Command cart.

You center the stick as best as possible. Then you start up Missile Command. Turn the Pokey adjust knob to get the cursor as close to the center of the screen as possible. After you've done so, move the stick and make sure your cursor can move to every spot on the screen.

Also, since I have a two port, and I don't believe Pitfall works with that model, I use Congo Bongo for the digital style UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT test of the stick. That game is hard to find, though. And it's not worth wasting money on.

That said, you seem to be buying a lot of stuff lately. I'd strongly recommend taking the plunge and buying an AtariMax SD cart. It is worth the investment. Once you have one, you can load Pete's Test Cart the PAM Diagnostics cart or whatever rom you can find.

• Like 1

I will look into the atari max, the ad cart w better deal than the 128-1 cart? Also I tried different carts even Missle command but it appears that I can move cursor freely except for about 20% of both the bottom and right side. Pitfall I cannot move right or down at all. Many of the games my charector immediately moved left once the game starts. If I do get a multi-cart do I have to adjust it frequently? I am sending the machine to my brother for Christmas so I won't be able to adjust the machine with any regularity. Though I like the thrill of finding and collecting the old carts may be time to move up to the land if Atarimax. That is just going to be a few weeks before I can do that.

No, there's no capability in the test cart to adjust the Pokey setting. It's purely informational returning readings and ranges. I find that the PAM Diagnostics is the best to set the values, while the Pete's Test Cart is the best way to check the controller response.

The only way to adjust the Pokey is to open up the 5200 and twist the knob.

• Like 1

So I had my coming with Jesus I am going to buy an Atarimax cart for 5200. . I did some reading and it appears that the SD cart is a newer deal than the 128- in one Atarimax cart? Does anyone have any thoughts on which cart?

get the SD version. The 128 in 1 is nice because of the menu. However you are limited to 128. You also have to install software and a driver on your computer to update it.

The SD cart you just put roms on a SD card and use it in the cart.

Gabe I adjusted it thought it was flickary and I'm not sure it will Nesscarly stay I turned knob and pressed firm to get a reaction. I'm thinking of putting a paperclip on the knob and board because it seems to hold it better in place. Next is to get an Atarimax. Also I found the color knob and I just did that to a little bit