IGNORED

5200 Dig Dug better than 7800?

Atari the Jedi

So I broke down recently got a 7800, dig dug was one of the games I was able to grab. I'll admit the characters look a little better in the 7800. However, I just happened to like the 5200 version better I think the sound and music sounds better on the 5200. And the controls just feel better on the 5200 as well. While the 7800 is a bit more cartoony and bubbly. Chalk it up to nostalgia but I just prefer the 5200 version better. Anyone out there want to give me an Amen!:)

For me, its not all about "arcade-closeness" with games from that era. I do have a preference for the "flavor" that the 400/5200 gave to its games. I think it boils down to my being a VCS kid who lusted after the 5200 from day one but couldn't afford it. 7800 came along too late for me as far as 80's arcade gaming went. 7800 does many games rather nicely, but the 5200 graphics just do it for me.

• Like 1

"Better" of course is a subjective term. Graphically as with comparing most 5200/7800 games, the 7800 wins out. But gameplay, control, and certainly sound go to the 5200 in many cases. Dig Dug I would say is more fun to play on the 5200, so for me it is better. The 5200 always gets a bad rap as being a "disappointment", but really it's successor is the one I find dull.

For me, its not all about "arcade-closeness" with games from that era. I do have a preference for the "flavor" that the 400/5200 gave to its games. I think it boils down to my being a VCS kid who lusted after the 5200 from day one but couldn't afford it. 7800 came along too late for me as far as 80's arcade gaming went. 7800 does many games rather nicely, but the 5200 graphics just do it for me.

For me you nailed it. All my friends had the 2600 and it was cool. But when I got the 5200 man we were blown away. Even though it wasn't pixel perfect it was for us at home. To this day when I think of playing defender or centipede it's the 5200 version I crave. By time the 7800 came along everyone had to have the NES. The 7800 was for the poor kids, or better yet, how some kids parents bought them Go-Bots and the parents who loved their children got them Transformers. Yes they are robots that change into things but Transformers had Star Scream and Megatron and the Go Bots had Scooter.....To me the 7800 is Scooter....

• Like 1

For me you nailed it. All my friends had the 2600 and it was cool. But when I got the 5200 man we were blown away. Even though it wasn't pixel perfect it was for us at home. To this day when I think of playing defender or centipede it's the 5200 version I crave. By time the 7800 came along everyone had to have the NES. The 7800 was for the poor kids, or better yet, how some kids parents bought them Go-Bots and the parents who loved their children got them Transformers. Yes they are robots that change into things but Transformers had Star Scream and Megatron and the Go Bots had Scooter.....To me the 7800 is Scooter....

:lolblue:

Nice analogy!

I compare the two to today's music versus 25+ years ago. A lot of people love today's music, but to me its mostly fake, lip-syncing and has no heart (and I do love the 7800 mind you). The 5200 games are slightly less graphically pretty, but there's something more loveable about them. The 7800 just seems like a copy of the 2600, sound and all. I love both consoles, but there is a huge difference between the two that's surprisingly in favor of the older of the two.

• Like 1

Geez you 5200ers sure spend allot of time trying to validate your reasons the 5200 is better than the 7800.. I guess its better than talking about how someone should make a stick that works for the 5200..For me I like atari. I like the hundreders. I wanted the most powerfull one. So I bought a 7800. If you havent played all of Bobs games like ten or 12 of them. Then you cant compare shit. .

Playing a smooth scrolling game has much to be said. The 5200 is more of a one screen machine like the 2600..

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1

Geez you 5200ers sure spend allot of time trying to validate your reasons the 5200 is better than the 7800..

Ha ha, that is true. Also, and equal amount of time to validate how it is NOT a repackaged Atari 400. While the 7800's sound ain't impressive, at least it did bring something new to the table (unlike repackaged 400 with no technical improvements) with numerous sprites and more color per sprite.

5200 Dig Dug is pretty good, however. The Atari 400/800 version was pretty weak, comparatively, although the 5200 version's been converted. 7800 version looks better than both.

I even think the 2600 version is excellent, considering how it manages to capture the fun of the game on that meager hardware.

• Like 1

Geez you 5200ers sure spend allot of time trying to validate your reasons the 5200 is better than the 7800..

Well - only some of them, but yeah. Look in any random "5200 vs NES" or "5200 vs. Colecovision" or "does 5200 deserve the criticism" thread and eventually one of them will drag the 7800 into an unrelated discussion to dump on it ... go on about the awful sound on the 7800 then boast how the sound of the 5200 will sooth waring nations.

At least the OP had the decency to start this way.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

Well - only some of them, but yeah. Look in any random "5200 vs NES" or "5200 vs. Colecovision" or "does 5200 deserve the criticism" thread and eventually one of them will drag the 7800 into an unrelated discussion to dump on it ... go on about the awful sound on the 7800 then boast how the sound of the 5200 will sooth waring nations.

At least the OP had the decency to start this way.

Um...this one IS about a specific game vs the 7800 counterpart, so there's no unrelated discussion going on.

And...it wouldn't be the same "X" vs 7800 debate without you chiming in. Seriously...you could take ANY fanboy of ANY system, and I'll put $20 bucks on your ability to smell the conversation and jump in against theirs.

But that's ok. Those of us who love and play both systems can tell the difference. ;)

I actually do like the 5200 version of Dig Dug better. I have no idea why, but I do. Maybe it's because the 5200 controllers are more comfortable than the 7800 controllers or something. Then again, I know it's a lot easier to use other controllers with the 7800 than it is to use other controllers with the 5200, so I don't know. The graphics on the 5200 aren't as good, but the sound is better, so really they should be about equal. I still like the 5200 version better, but there's just no logical way to explain why. Funny enough, I don't like it as much on the 8-bit computer series as I do on either of these systems.

I actually don't currently own the 5200 version of Dig Dug, though, as I sold it a while back and never bought another copy. So, I've been stuck using it on my 7800 and 130XE, and I've really been wanting to go back and get it on my 5200 again.

Um...this one IS about a specific game vs the 7800 counterpart, so there's no unrelated discussion going on.

Yep - that would be why I made the note about the OP at the end. :-)

Seriously...you could take ANY fanboy of ANY system, and I'll put $20 bucks on your ability to smell the conversation and jump in against theirs.

Alas, I've not had a good 7800 vs. SMS debate. That's a hard one for me to take sides on. :-)

But that's ok. Those of us who love and play both systems can tell the difference. ;)

yes I know ... but I'm not sure you can stop masturbating enough over the 5200's orchestral sound while writing about how the 7800 is the cause of tinnitus around the world to be objective. ;-)

Back to the original topic, I like the 5200 one better too. But I think the 7800 one is solid.

Edited by DracIsBack