IGNORED

Portable 2600

Michael David Morsette

I stumbled across this item and thought it was phenomenonal. It is a portable Atari 2600, here is a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cZ2EO6Fnzo

Now it is a bit expensive, but considering the quality and features personally I tnink it is worth it. It is pretty close to what you would pay for a custom machine only you don't have to wait months for it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a port for two player. For me lacking this feature is a deal breaker but it is still such an awesome device I had to share with you guys. If you are interested here is the ebay link:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1810287820951?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=181028782095&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• Like 1

Yeah might be worth to some to say "Look what I have!" otherwise waaaaaay to much considering a dozen different handhelds with built in controls can be bought and you can emulate the 2600 very well along with many other systems. Sure you cannot use original carts but what is the point of a "portable" if your using carts? So many others things I could buy for that money.

• Like 1

I understand what your saying, but.... ;)

Price wise it is around what Ben Heck and others I have talked to charge.

As for carts, I hate (no too strong), dislike (maybe still too much), OK avoid emulators as much as humanly possible. Something about carts... hard to explain but I love them ( and I do mean love).

Now if there were other portable options like the Portable Retro Duo for the NES/SNES (which is complete crap when it comes to quality by the way) then the value of an item like this would be far less. But if your a player/collector that likes to play on the go (have 4 boys and have no time to play but on the go), then custom portable systems like this are your only option.

Edited by MrBland

Seriously? I remember a number of years ago I inquired about his prices and they were nowhere remotely near that.

Honestly as nice as that handheld is, its way too damn expensive.

I just checked his site and the prices he lists for custom portables is 750-1000 before shipping and any paypal fees (http://benheck.com/store) Also when I contacted Ben a few months ago he said it wasn't profitable for him to make them anymore, in other words he is no longer a source. This eBay item has a best offer option, my guess is you could offer 15-20 percent lower than stated price. So you could probably get this item for around a 1000 with fees and shipping. Expensive yes, but right in line with similar builds from what I can tell.

That's not better than Ben Heck's. His has more polish and no lazy hand written labels. This thing is a joke.

Ben Heck does make really well made devices, I think it is the wood body that really fascinates me. As for the labels, true they aren't metal enlays like Ben's, or pretty printed stickers like I've seen on others, but I think they compliment the wood body very well.

Hand carved wood. Amazing. But why did he use an analog thumbstick instead of digital?

I don't know much about this (guess I could message him and ask)....I know 2600 joysticks are digital right? But aren't analog joysticks better? Probably 2600 games can't fully utilize an analog, but it shouldn't hurt either.

Edited by MrBland