IGNORED

Best way to remove full disc rental labels?

Austin

Leave the plastic shield label stuck on the disc alone. Too much a risk of damaging the reflective data layer underneath the factory lacquer. That stated, a good idea mentioned earlier on using alcohol to remove the ink (if ink on top) off Rental Store stickers that have the plastic sticker covering the entire disc. The edge of discs are not sealed; never soak a disc and definitely do not boil as one post suggested!

Scratch Disc - Sticker Removal - Case and Disc Repair Guide

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=398336#p398336

cdLayersAnnotated.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

I've managed to remove the stickers from the couple of former rentals I've owned. My advice: get an appropriate surface to put the disc on, so you can hold it down without scratching it. Then- just pick with your fingernails. BE PATIENT. It'll probably come off in tiny little strips. It'll probably take a few days to get all the way off. Don't risk damaging your disc by rushing. If you get enough off & find the surface of the disc is tacky, stop & gently clean it with some lemon furniture polish.

The key, quite simply, is lots and lots of patience.

The words clean right off with rubbing alcohol as I'd said. I don't know why anyone would bother trying to remove the sticker (since it actually protects the disc) if the words can be gone in 2 minutes.

If I ever end up with another rental, I'll try this first. Sounds a lot less frustrating!

I'd personally just leave the disc alone. With the demise of Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, the property stickers for these companies adds a bit of history to the games. I actually think it's cool to know that a particular game was rented/used back in the day through one of these companies, likely because my family made many trips to Blockbuster in the 90s for SNES games.

Who knows, in the coming years these old rental games may have their own degree of collector interest. Especially as people try to remove any sign of that game's past by removing Blockbuster/Hollywood Video ownership labels.