IGNORED

What can a seller do to protect themselves on ebay?

Hyper_Eye

I also don't know who you're talking about saving gas going to the post office. I walk the 4 blocks to the local post office with my packages unless they're too big or too many. I don't see people bitch about the informercials charging $8.95 postage and handling and then paying an additional $8.95 for getting a "2nd one free" when the item arrives and the total postage costs like $5 for everything. Those infomercial companies are making money on the "handling fee" but no one seems to care about it and just pay for it. Problem is that there is no feedback system for those types of companies. You see the item. You see the total cost. You are willing to pay that total cost. Then you get your product. I hide nothing. You see my price. You see my shipping. You see my total cost. If you are willing to pay that total cost, don't bitch about it. You bitch about it, then I tell you my life and how I've been struggling to make ends meet. If you don't like it, don't buy from me.

Phil

Actually. people DO often gripe about the scams the infomercial companies pull with their bs "handling" fees. Just not here on Atari Age since this is a place where the main topic is videogames, not kids pillows that light up and double as a lunchbox. If you are charging X amount for shipping, you should charge within reason of that amount for shipping. If you are adding significantly to the "shipping" cost for things not related to shipping, you're scamming people unless you're disclosing it.

Shipping cost = $2.50

Handling and padding my profit fee = $3.00

Total Shipping charge = $5.50

Or;

Please note the actual cost of shipping is half of what I'm charging you so I can recoup ebay/paypal's fees and/or pad my profit(s).

Then it's not a scam or deception.