IGNORED

UN Squadron 7800 graphics... Any advice/feedback is welcome

gorfcadet

Thanks GB! You are a fast mover sir! I've been making the fixes to other assets this afternoon as well. I'll look at implementing your notes on the power up later tonight or tomorrow morning during my prep period. Thanks as always buddy!

Sprite update for Jan 10, 2013.

Fixed tank treads for level 1 boss.

Fixed elevations on level 1 pavement.

Replaced gun power up with new three sprite animation.

TO DO:

Add ground explosions.

Add two more level one background assets.

Complete shop assets.

Intro and title assets

Add level three gun blast

Add bombs

Add "options"

Add rockets

Have a great evening everyone! Still jamming out to the pokey version of UN's theme! Yamaha would be perfect too!

LoL, I was cruizing the streets in my BMW yesturday blasting the UN Squadron theme music on my Kenwood 12 inch speakers.........When I roled up on some chicks, they laughed at me.........Why is this?

Much improved! Here are the animated versions at 2/10 inter frame delay :-

post-21935-0-88116200-1357945575.gif (<---- Click to animate)

post-21935-0-13375100-1357945584.gif (<--- Click to animate)

I think they both might need an extra frame or the speed adjusting because it still seems a bit off to me. The power flash doesn't spend enough time at the back of the orb to look cohesive in my mind.

The pulsating orb would need to be seen on a real TV because the anti-aliasing of the two shades of the orbs body (to get an intermediate colour) will be much improved.

Maybe the orbiting flash needs to cast a little shadow on the orb? This could be achieved by making the sprite 4BPP and using one of the darker player ship colours as the drop shadow.

The frame keying was slightly out so here are my modified versions of the graphics :-

post-21935-0-77102300-1357945608.png

post-21935-0-85394000-1357945621.png

Hurry up and finish the damned game.....I'm getting goosebumps :)

Calm Down and be patient. I am saying this as a person who did programming in High School back when Bill Clinton was in his first term as President. If you never tried programming before like it seems, you have no idea how tough and time consuming it is. I am saying that because I did programing in 1994/1995 in a computer class in High School and I found it one of the toughest classes I ever took. Unlike gorfcadet, I found programming to much of a pain and decided not to do anymore programming since.

You should never give hobbyists dead line a first place because he does have a job outside of the internet that doesn't involve programming. I seen hobbyists never finish game or a take a long time or finish a game because of stuff outside of the internet.

The 2nd thing is the programmer never did a 7800 game priority to this one. That means the programer will need help and that means it will take a lot of time to finish. That also is where a person like Groveybee is willing to help comes in.

The third thing is homebrew authors do not like that type of pressure that you mentioned by typing "Hurry up and finish the damned game". Statements like Hurry and finish the game actually is a way to turn people off from programming for the 7800 or not finish the game.

• Like 1

LoL, I wasn't being serious in my remarks.............Of course I know he should take his time, jeeeeeez, take it easy grasshopper :) ......wow man, just wow.....

On a serious note, they have come along way on this project pretty quickly...My hats off to the dedication of Groovy B and GordCadet....This game will be amazing and I hope they continue at there own comfortable pace.....real talk...and thank you for breaking that down for me.....I feel you, I sucked in computer class...its pretty complicated stuff to try and program...

Edited by Stun Runner 87

Don't worry guys, work is continuing. :) BUT, it will be a while. After level one polish is up to par, I'll take on the shop and level 2. No schedule though. My school has state monitoring this week, so not a lot of time to give until the bureaucrats are done noodling around. I'll likely have to take some time to do a mountain of pallet swaps at some point. :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lols. Don't worry. Just working on another project at the moment. I'll get back to this one soon enough. I teach high school and this year I get to help with prom and I've been putting together a program for the district basketball tournament. Peh, kids. Don't they know whats really important? Like shmups on 7800! :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try and put up some new stuff in the weeks ahead. Sorry I can't say more, but I have another project underway at the moment that has me pretty tied up. I love UN so I know I'll clear some time for it in the future. For now, I'd rather do one thing at a time well than two things badly. Thanks for the kind words and support!

• Like 2