IGNORED

UN Squadron 7800 graphics... Any advice/feedback is welcome

gorfcadet

Assets I can kick out in a reasonable timeframe; finished game? Better set the sleep chamber for a good nap. ;) Unless you have some favors to call in from some of the experienced guys around here. I know the heavy hitters around here all have projects underway, but all things in time. Thats what you get with a graphics guy, fast pretty assets, but slow on the code. Its also contest season for my journalism kids so free time goes out the window sometimes.

Regretfully, work and life has been fairly busy with me as well, so I haven't really had an opportunity to really do any work on the next musical composition of the actual game.

I have, however, come up with this little chestnut. Basically, this is the little Capcom jingle that played in the intro for pretty much all their games during the SNES/Genesis era (and some NES games saw it as well).

It includes both the RMT and SAP file for it.

Also, I am eventually going to compile all these under one roof into a single RMT and SAP file. I don't yet know how to do that, but that's my intention at least once I get a more complete package of the soundtrack from the game. Of course if someone experienced with RMT creation would like to help me with some of that, I don't mind sharing the stage. :P

unsquadron_capcom.zip

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I am on a couple of projects, but they are still under wraps for now. A78 is on the backburner for now, but summer break is coming up... what there is of it after mandatory teacher workshops anyway! Right now teaching stuff is more than I can handle: yearbook, graduation, prom, and journalism convention are all going on. I still open the graphics folders when I get time. Hopefully, you will all dig what's coming!

Sorry, I am on a couple of projects, but they are still under wraps for now. A78 is on the backburner for now, but summer break is coming up... what there is of it after mandatory teacher workshops anyway! Right now teaching stuff is more than I can handle: yearbook, graduation, prom, and journalism convention are all going on. I still open the graphics folders when I get time. Hopefully, you will all dig what's coming!

Ok I guess we'll let it slide this time...

WOW! I have to say, the ST Version is the closest the to the Arcade, I wish the Tramiels had taken Rod Zydbel's advice and made an ST system into a game console in 87-88... That system would've blown the doors off of the Sega Genesis, the SNES and anything else and really would've given Atari a massive advantage in the videogaming market, would've increased its purchasing of ST related parts (IC chips and other common components) and their own PC costs would've gone down allowing them even higher profits, it would've been a win-win overall for Atari.

There is a C64 version starting at 2:27 in this comparison video :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jkp1E06FHk

It'd need quite a bit of work to get it running directly on the 7800.

WOW! I have to say, the ST Version is the closest the to the Arcade, I wish the Tramiels had taken Rod Zydbel's advice and made an ST system into a game console in 87-88...

I think you may be confused, as the ST version is very obviously more choppy and less colorful than the SNES version.

As for the ST as a game console... no. Just no. It had no hardware sprites, no hardware scrolling, only 16 onscreen colors (without raster tricks), 8-bit era sound, and such a sprawling chipset that I very much doubt it could have been sold at a competitive price.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing to report. I had been on another project (very excited about that one) with someone and just as that was wrapping up, my personal life became absolute chaos. Hopefully, things will turn around soon. We've had multiple health issues and professional issues in the family.

Nothing to report. I had been on another project (very excited about that one) with someone and just as that was wrapping up, my personal life became absolute chaos. Hopefully, things will turn around soon. We've had multiple health issues and professional issues in the family.

I wish you well.Sorry for bumping this thread so much, LoL.Its just that your UN Squadron port potentially could probably outdo any homebrew ever made for the 7800.It would really test the limits of what the 7800 is really capable of.Its unlike any game for the system so far and more complex in comparrison to any game attempted that I've seen...But of course, family comes first......much understood.Take you time, and I hope all your family issies work out for the best.Peace.

Thanks Stun, I appreciate the kind words! Maybe if I could woo GB away from the Inty or con PMP or one of the others who really know what they're doing I could just do graphics and the pace would pick up. Arkansas just added a million new hoops for teachers and family health is just one hit after another. I've lost over 30 lbs, but my blood pressure stays the same! Its gotta be the kids! :) I know what I have planned is possible, its just getting time to do anything.

• Like 1

Thanks Stun, I appreciate the kind words! Maybe if I could woo GB away from the Inty or con PMP or one of the others who really know what they're doing I could just do graphics and the pace would pick up. Arkansas just added a million new hoops for teachers and family health is just one hit after another. I've lost over 30 lbs, but my blood pressure stays the same! Its gotta be the kids! :) I know what I have planned is possible, its just getting time to do anything.

30 pounds?...........wow.............the kids in your classroom must be pretty evil....LoLWell I guess you'll never need Jenny Craig or Richard Simmon.....:)

• 4 weeks later...

can you credit that to atari usage?

LoL, no, not Atari usage...........I credit it to the anxiety waiting on UN Squadron and the rest of the games in the making...............the suspense burns the fat out of me through the stress its causing me........

Edited by Stun Runner 87

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello.

Sorry to bump this old thread again, but i was just wondering if GorfCadet has made any new progress on this admirable attempt to port a version of UN Sqauadron.

I would love to see this acompolished someday.

The graphics by GorfCadet looked pretty damned cool.

Is a programmer goin to help G.C finish this project someday?

Courious.

:)