IGNORED

Trouble with 2 Intellivision games...

ataridave

I recently got an INTV System III, and Astrosmash and Atlantis are having video issues. During the firing sounds in both games, the picture jumps a little bit-not enough to make them unplayable, but enough to be annoying. None of the other Intelliivsion games I own do this. I don't know if I need to clean them (I got Astrosmash brand new on Ebay), or just get a composite video cord and one of those female-to-male adapters for a better picture.

Do you think that could cause those screen issues? I think my TV is fine.

I've seen some strange glitches that have been cleared up by cleaning the cart, or the system's cart port. Since it only happens with the games in question, it's unlikely to be the television, or the connection between the television and the console.

OK, I know it's not the games, because I cleaned the heck out of Atlantis last night, and it's doing the same thing. It's not my CRT TV, either, because I've had consoles like the Atari 7800 and Sega Genesis hooked up to it via RF, with no problems like this.

Perhaps the INTV System IIIs had issues like this? As much as I hate to say it, it looks like I got a lemon.

Sometimes the audio carrier can drift out of spec and then interfere with the video carrier.

IIRC, there is an adjustment on the modulator. You might try giving it a little tweak in one direction or the other and see if that helps.

What do you mean by the modulator?? I don't have an RF switch box with this console; only a cable that goes from the console itself into one of those male-female (or is it the reverse?) adapters that screws onto my RF port.

What do you mean by the modulator?? I don't have an RF switch box with this console; only a cable that goes from the console itself into one of those male-female (or is it the reverse?) adapters that screws onto my RF port.

The modulator is internal, albeit somewhat seperate from the main PCB. It's what converts the audio / video signals into something that's picked up on channel 2 / 3 / 4. The switchbox you're thinking of simple lets you switch from one device to another.

The modulator is internal, albeit somewhat seperate from the main PCB. It's what converts the audio / video signals into something that's picked up on channel 2 / 3 / 4. The switchbox you're thinking of simple lets you switch from one device to another.

OK, how do I get to the modulator? And would using a switchbox help at all?

OK, how do I get to the modulator? And would using a switchbox help at all?

A switchbox won't help. The RCA->F-type adapter is as good as it gets.

With a System III (and original Intellivision), there are a few steps to getting at the modulator.

You'll have to remove the upper case and plastic controller cable tray, and lift the main PCB assembly up. I can't recall offhand if there are holes in the shielding that you can pass an adjustment tool through. Really you can fairly safely turn the adjustments without negative effect. You'll be able to see & hear when they're about right.

A very narrow (~2mm) flathead screwdriver will turn the adjustments. Normally a TV shop would use a tool from a set of "tweak sticks" to do this, but if you have a teeny flathead, it will do just fine.

If you're OK with disassembly and tweaking, I can check some of my scrap boards and make sure that the adjustments are accessible without having to remove the shielding, and elaborate on the instructions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am interested to know what happened, It's like

one of those classic dramas, where they leave you

hanging until next time.

Of course, sometimes when I Noob tries to 'go in to adjust the modulator' the

patient comes out not working at all. All it takes is one mistake, one, little lost screw

wedged inside between the case and the main board, one short

caused by removing a shield, and then putting it on wrong,

static electricity... WHat's the matter ataridave, cat got

you tongue?????

Hope it works out o.k. though.. and as always .. have a nice day.

Clean them first. Even if it was a "sealed in box" copy. Those games are over 30 years old now, even a pristine copy will have oxidation over that period of time.

Well, I cleaned out the games that were giving me problems, and they still are. I have no idea how to clean out the cartridge port in the Intellivsion, since the pins are so close together. Any suggestions?

I've generally used the spray on "contact cleaner" (Radio Shack has it as "tuner and contact cleaner"), shoving a cart in and out about 8 or 9 times, then letting it dry. It seems to clear up the system problems when they occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm not going to totally give up on Intellivision gaming, as fun as it was. What I will eventually do is make a post on the Wanted section of the Marketplace, on these forums, asking for an Intellivision (I, II, or III) that doesn't have these blinking issues.

Edited by ataridave