IGNORED

Scored a Front Loading NES! Disable 10NES?

godslabrat

Been looking for a spare NES for a while, finally had luck today. Before I set it up, I plan to pop it open and clean the 72-pin connector (I'll replace it if need be, but consensus is that a cleaned vintage connector beats a brand-new one). While I'm in there, I'd consider snipping the lockout chip, but I'm not sure it's really that important. I mean, if the connector is clean and my games are clean, is there really any harm in leaving the lockout chip be? I know some games are fussy about the chip, so if I did cut it, I'd want to wire in a bypass, and that's one of those things I'd just rather not bother with if there isn't going to be a serious gain.

What do you think?

Yup, do it. I recently picked up a pretty haggard looking front loader cheap at a thrift store, Aside from a lot of cosmetic cleaning, I cleaned the 72-pin connector using this technique, and disabled the 10NES chip. I haven't had it fail to load a game a single time.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba
  • Like 1

I do like to fire up Action 52, or Wisdom Tree games now and then. I'm told they don't play nicely with lockout disabled systems.

Actually they don't get along well with systems that have the lockout enabled. IIRC they use a voltage spike to knock out the lockout chip as opposed to using a reverse-engineered lockout chip like Tengen did, which doesn't always work.

Clip it. They're in every NES cart if you decide you need it back. As soon as you disable that digital curse, you can pull an "extra" from any Nintendo made cart that you plan to keep and your console won't even care anymore.

The only game I can't get to load in my toaster is Athena, and I know that cart is good. I cleaned the original 72 pin, but it was just too far gone to save. I wound up replacing it. The new one does take a little effort to get going, but all of my games (except Athena) work just fine.