IGNORED

atari 7800

rushguy

Good question. But why mame and not prosystem?

Anyway, the most important thing is to connect your 7800 controller to the pc. To do this you're going to do some kind of modification to your controller or use some adaptor.

And ... the stelladaptor can't be used to access both buttons on the 7800 controller, if that (stelladaptor) is what you're using.

I'm not sure if there is an adapotor to use the 7800 controller in a usb port...

Maybe the blissbox can do it...

---

EDIT

Bliss-box web page has a compatibility list and the 7800 is included!

It is a little expensive and it seems the guy is working alone so it may take some months to have one...

But this adaptor seems to be the best I've ever seen. Well, I don't have it...

I may be wrong, but it seems unlikely to work.

The 7800 pad was designed that way so that a 2600 would see both buttons as the single FIRE button of a 2600 controller. Your stelladapter is probably looking at the controller as if it were a 2600, and seeing a single button input.

Edited by Rex Dart

yes. I am using the stella adapter for Mame and button 1 and button 2 is being assigned to the same function which is J button 0 . Is there a way to get them work so they act for different functions ?

Nothing against you. But you are always asking and sometimes simple things.

So, IF it is possible (I'm not sure and I think it isn't), you won't be able to do it because you're going to need much more knowledge to open it and change it to work with a 7800 controller. It's hard work.

Rex Dart beated me. And he was more gentle. :-D

It is not possible. There is no commercially available or homebrew USB adapter the correctly recognizes the independent fire buttons of the very few 7800 games that use them. On top if that, there are no emulators that would recognize the circuit anyway. You have two choices: modify your 7800 stick to be true independent firing like an SMS pad, or use an SMS compatible paf/stick instead.

Looks like we have quite a bit of misinformation, misconceptions, or outdated material in this thread...

1. This... http://home.comcast....2600-daptor.htm ...will allow your Atari 7800 controller to work fine under Windows including MESS/MAME.

2. MESS/MAME will recognize any controller or button input that Windows recognizes under the Game Controller (Control Panel).

3. MAME/MESS has trackball support, including fine tuning for the analog sensitivity and a plethora of other adjustments not found with any other emulator for the 7800, including video adjustments/tuning and proper YUV emulation support (Makes your modern display look just like a traditional CRT TV...Example: http://www.atariage....2/#entry2660238)

4. There are a handful of games with very minor graphical issues for the 7800, a couple with major graphic issues/timing issues, otherwise most 7800 games play perfectly under MESS.

5. MESS/MAME sound (POKEY) support is superior to any other publicly available emulator for the 7800 (Including Prosystem).

That being said, Prosystem does correct the few games MESS has problems with related to graphics and timing (But you have to tweak or ensure you have the right Prosystem.dat file for it). The ProSystem emulator does allow palette swapping, but outside of that has next to no video options or fine tuning outside of "stretched" and changing the size of a Window or resolution. It does have a prettier/easy to use GUI though.

Looks like we have quite a bit of misinformation, misconceptions, or outdated material in this thread...

1. This... http://home.comcast....2600-daptor.htm ...will allow your Atari 7800 controller to work fine under Windows including MESS/MAME.

2. MESS/MAME will recognize any controller or button input that Windows recognizes under the Game Controller (Control Panel).

3. MAME/MESS has trackball support, including fine tuning for the analog sensitivity and a plethora of other adjustments not found with any other emulator for the 7800, including video adjustments/tuning and proper YUV emulation support (Makes your modern display look just like a traditional CRT TV...Example: http://www.atariage....2/#entry2660238)

4. There are a handful of games with very minor graphical issues for the 7800, a couple with major graphic issues/timing issues, otherwise most 7800 games play perfectly under MESS.

5. MESS/MAME sound (POKEY) support is superior to any other publicly available emulator for the 7800 (Including Prosystem).

That being said, Prosystem does correct the few games MESS has problems with related to graphics and timing (But you have to tweak or ensure you have the right Prosystem.dat file for it). The ProSystem emulator does allow palette swapping, but outside of that has next to no video options or fine tuning outside of "stretched" and changing the size of a Window or resolution. It does have a prettier/easy to use GUI though.

Neither the Stelladaptor, nor any other modern USB joystick interface will correctly work with genuine two-button Atari 7800 Proline controllers in any emulator. for dual button supporting games. The stick works, but you only get Fire Button A support. Yes, MESS and Prosystem allow for Two Button input, but you cannot use a true, original Atari 7800 controller for this purpose. You would need to either re-wire a real 7800 proline/joypad so that the buttons were truly independent, or use a Sega SMS pad or Genesis pad which don't need this kind of mod.

Also - Neither MESS/MAME nor any other emulator in existence will work with an original Atari CX-80 or CX-22 Trakball in TB mode. This can only be done on real hardware. Trackball usage in MESS/MAME would need to be USB Windows Mouse compatible, or work wiht Arcade emulation hardware like a JAMMA harness, etc.

Edited by 7800 Emucoder

Neither the Stelladaptor, nor any other modern USB joystick interface will correctly work with two-button 7800 Proline controllers in any emulator. Yes, MESS and Prosystem allow for Two Button input, but you cannot use a true, original Atari 7800 controller for this purpose.

Did you look at the link I posted? http://home.comcast....2600-daptor.htm

New 2600-daptor II

The 2600-daptor II adds support for 7800 Pro-Line, CBS Booster Grip, and keypads (Keyboard Controller, Video Touch Pad aka Star Raiders, Kids Controller). It has 3 modes - 2600, 7800, keypad - set by switches

Confirmation here if you still have doubts: http://www.atariage....50#entry2500432

Quote: "I also tried my 7800 sticks with Atari 7800 Commando (left button "fire" and right button "grenade") in SDLMESS for Mac OS X and it works beautifully..."

Did you look at the link I posted? http://home.comcast....2600-daptor.htm

New 2600-daptor II

The 2600-daptor II adds support for 7800 Pro-Line, CBS Booster Grip, and keypads (Keyboard Controller, Video Touch Pad aka Star Raiders, Kids Controller). It has 3 modes - 2600, 7800, keypad - set by switches

Confirmation here if you still have doubts: http://www.atariage....50#entry2500432

Welll sheeeeeiit. That's new. Never ever heard of it before.