IGNORED

Lantronix UDS1100 and Atari 850

oldschool84

Glad to hear you got it working. I won't say the 1100 sucks, but if I did,

I'd say it sucks vacuum hard. :)

Seriously, I had it working for incoming calls on DarkForce for some

time, but in the end changed back to a UDS10 there as well. Never

did like it for outgoing calls with my STacy.

• 10 months later...

The 850 serial port pin-out is different than the PC DE-9 serial port so it will likely take a custom cable to connect the 850 to the UDS1100.

850 Serial port pinouts

PC DE-9 Serial port pinout

Just wanted to say this information came in handy today, thanks!

I find it interesting how Atari made 4 serial ports and none of them had the same pinout. That to me is fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...

okay the uds 2100 does dns..

I reflashed the other uds10 as an mss now it resolves dns as well, but now incoming port is pre set (You can use a router to redirect ports anyway)

another possible solution at...

http://forums.lantronix.com/showthread.php?t=845

I think this will help Atari 8 bit to conveniently connect to BBS and IRC/telnet.

Can we get a list of DNS capable lantronix based boxes. The lantronix site did not mention my uds2100 could do dns... I found it in the setup and it works. It was not in the uds10 set up so I flashed it to a mss.

A list of dns capable lantronix based devices would be cool and expand things greatly...

A list of cross flashable devices would help convert things nicely to our liking as well....

If you can go to your Atari and simply dial a BBS from a list like in the old days instead of telnetting port 43 of several whois servers hoping for an ip address or booting the ibm to get an ip address I think we would see a good increase with more BBS/IRC/Telnet using Atarians.

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 4 months later...

oldschool84 I have been reading all your posts about the atari 850 and lantronix uds-10 and the 850 modem cable which i bought from ebay.com i could not find them in UK so now i have a brand new one :) I'm pleased to hear all you needed was the modem cable with no hacks and the lantronix uds-10 worked with bobterm :) I have used my ape cable from the atari to pc and used iceterm loaded from the pc and used the telnet method in the ape configuration and it worked like a charm so now i'm going to try the lantronix uds-10 with the 850 and modem cable and will try bobterm then try iceterm :) Cheers buddy for the detailed info in your posts!!!! ;) :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update i have my atari xl connected to my atari 850 interface and using my pc as a disk drive using my ape cable to load Bobterm 1.22 when the Bobterm has loaded i hear a long bleep before the screen appears which means the handler in the 850 has loaded and connected.I change duplex to full,baud rate to 9600,Translation and parity to Ascii.I then press enter which takes me to the term mode and with duplex set to full i can not see any text/letters but can hear the bleeps if i change the duplex to half i can then see the text/letters BUT either way i enter a bbs sites address for example ATDT COTTONWOODBBS.DYNDNS.ORG:23 then press enter and nothing happens on the screen but on the lantronix UDS-10 there is a green light lit for Link an orange lights flashing on and off for Net/Tx/Rx so something must be happening? there is another light lit green on its own for diagnostic status and that light is on !

The lantronix UDS-10 is brand new so this if the first time its been connected and switched on so not sure if i have to change anything in the lantronix settings which will meaning i have to connect the lantronix to my pc via null modem cable? but the orange light on the lantronix is always flashing on and off just like on the router so something must be happening ???? not sure if i am to enter the actual ip address for the bbs site so will have to go find that as i always use typing out the full telnet address.

If OldSkool84 is reading this please can you advise/help?

I forgot one thing to mention instead of me having a CX87 modem cable for the 850 interface i have a brand new CX88 which is a null modem cable so this should not really matter???? I always use null modem cables to access bbs sites with my c64/amiga computers but if i need the CX87 i'll have to send off for one :)

Another update!!!! looking promising :) To test the atari 850 interface is working with the CX88 null modem cable oppose to a CX87 modem cable i have attached my pace pocket mobile pc dial up modem to the atari 850 with the CX88 and trying to dial out on Bobterm but nothing happening???? So i remembered i have a small DB9 male-DB9 female cross over null modem adapter which then put inbetween the pace modem and the CX88 cable and i was blown away when i dialed a number on Bobterm and the pace modem was in full swing dialing away LOL so getting back to getting the lantronix working i am now presuming i need a D25 male-D25 female cross over adapter to go inbetween the lantronix and the CX88 cable and i most definately think this will work for sure! Although i have the atari CX88 cable which is a null modem cable the CX87 is an atari modem cable so to get the CX88 null modem to work like the CX87 all i need to do is put a cross over null modem on the CX88 and hey presto i got a working cable that the atari 850 interface is talking to :)))))

update! I got the lantronix uds-10 talking to the pc so i can now change settings by telnetting to the lantronix and beleive me that took me ages and ages to get my lantronix back on track so i have not entered oldskool84's settings and i get the node 2.0 when typing qu i can then see what im typing but right now i'm getting no carrier??? I wish some one would reply to my lonely posts LOL Pleeeeeeeease :(

Hey there. Sorry you're having problems with you Lantronix UDS10. You need to thoroughly

familiarize yourself with all the modes and settings, etc. I highly recommend you read the

quickstart guide and the users guide.

UDS10-100-200_QS.pdf.zip

UDS10-UDS100_UG.pdf.zip

and here are my settings:

--------------------------------------------------

[darklord@darkforce darklord]$ telnet 192.168.1.102 9999
Trying 192.168.1.102...
Connected to bbs.darkforce.org (192.168.1.102).
Escape character is '^]'.

*** Lantronix Universal Device Server ***
Serial Number 6740058 MAC address 00204A679C7A
Software version V5.8.0.1 (041112) LTX
Password :-------
Press Enter for Setup Mode

*** basic parameters
Hardware: Ethernet Autodetect
IP addr 192.168.1.102, gateway 192.168.1.1,netmask 255.255.255.0
Telnet config password set

*** Security
SNMP is enabled
SNMP Community Name:
Telnet Setup is enabled
TFTP Download is enabled
Port 77FEh is enabled
Web Server is enabled
ECHO is enabled
Enhanced Password is enabled

*** Channel 1
Baudrate 19200, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 02
Port 00023
Connect Mode : D6
Auto increment source port disabled
Remote IP Adr: --- none ---, Port 00000
Disconn Mode : C0
Flush Mode : 00
Terminal name:

*** Expert
TCP Keepalive : 45s
ARP cache timeout: 600s
Monitor Mode @ bootup : enabled
HTTP Port Number : 80

Change Setup:
0 Server
1 Channel 1
5 Expert
6 Security
7 Factory defaults
8 Exit without save
9 Save and exit Your choice ?
--------------------------------------------------

I don't think I've ever used the installer software to do anything

with my Lantronix devices (IIRC).

I've always telneted in and done things manually. :)

Hope this helps!

Baudrate 19200, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 02

I don't think I've ever used the installer software to do anything

with my Lantronix devices (IIRC).

I've always telneted in and done things manually.

You Atari guys are lucky, if I try to use anything over 4800 baud on my TI-99/4A, I start dropping characters because it cannot keep up.

I agree manually always seemed the best. I use PuTTY on the PC.

Hi DarkLord thanks for your reply and help the one thing i noticed in your settings you have posted is Port 00023.

Everyones channel 1 settings they have left there Port to 00000. So maybe this is were i'm going wrong? I have gone over the channel 1 settings with different peoples settings with mixed experience?

DarkLord please can you tell me when i type a bbs site ip address does it have to be numbers or like cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org:23 I'm used to typing all the bbs sites like that so will i have to get the numbered ip address

I'm so glad i have replies :)

Right i've tried the Port 00023 on the lantronix and i'm getting the same results:-

If i type cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org:23 i was then the screen scrolls down with

ok

+++

ath

ok

+++

+++

>

>

<wm1>

<wu1>

<ww cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org>

<wn23>

<wr>

atdt cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org:23>

no carrier

If i type at as a reply

if i type atdt i get *** nodeset 2.0***

0>

So something seems to be happening???? but the no carrier worries me because when i link the c64/atari to my winxp laptop via null modem and forget to put the lan cable in the laptop i get no carrier! So with the lantronix there appears no connection when the lan is in?

:( I give up seriously this lantronix has beaten me!! might just stick to using a winXP laptop and a null modem?

The c64/atari is talking to the lantronix and the lantronix seems to be talking back the only thing thats not happening it accessing a bbs site?

I type AT i get OK i type ATDT i get *** nodeset 2.0*** but anything else is no carrier?

Okay, the UDS10 doesn't do resolution so you have to type in a quad IP address for each

BBS. For example, here using my STacy and a UDS10, I'd type in this to get to my BBS:

atdt 173.80.198.175,23

Note the use of the comma after the quad address, followed by the port number.

You can see me connecting to DarkForce in this video - go full screen and see

the typed in commands at the very start:

HTHs.

Edited by DarkLord

I can't understand it i type AT i get OK i type ATDT i get ***nodeset 2.0*** I type ATDT 173.80.198.175,23 and i get no carrier but if i start again with the dial and do ATDT 173.80.198.175,23

I then get a scrolling screen with

ok

+++

+++

>

>

<wm1>

<wn23>

<wu0>

<wx173.80.198.175>

<wn23>

<wr>

atdt 173.80.198.175,23

no carrier

I give up LOL

Okay, it almost sounds like your "modes" are off/mixed up. Read the users guide

carefully, it will show you how to switch between modes.

I can't recall the exact details off the top of my head, but in one mode you can't

call out. You have to be in the right one.

Read the guide and make sure the UDS10 is where it's supposed to be.

HTHs.

PS Dumb question, but you do have a unique IP address assigned to the UDS10,

right?

PSS Also, another dumb question but I'm assuming you have all the settings in

whatever comms program/terminal you are using set to match the UDS10, right?

For example, they both have to have the same speed, etc,...

Edited by DarkLord

Hi DarkLord, Yes i do have an assigned ip address to the lantronix and yes the baud rate and other serial settings the same?

I have just plugged a win7 laptop in to my router and connected the lantronix via null modem cable and downloaded cgterm which is a c64 emulator and after typing in the ip address i get disconnected straight away so something is clearly not letting me dial out of the lantronix?

All my pc's on the network can telnet in to the lantronix and the c64/atari with baud rate set the same as the lantronix and the port settings i can get the c64/atari talking back and forth with the lantronix but i'm not able to dial out ???? This is killing me LOL I am so wanting this lantronix to work LOL Pleeeeeaaaasseeee :)

A brief tale about the lantronix UDS-10 i set it up from brand new and i used DHCP in device installer to assign it an ip address which was fine in device installer i could telnet in and change stuff but once i took it over to the atari and c64 I typed in ATDT065005243120/8888 from an earlier post and the lantronix came alive i was shocked i got loads of characters scrolling across the screen but when ever i type anything i got double of everything so when i disconnected and took the lantronix to the pc to check the connection mode was set to D6 and not C6 it was after doing that all went hell fire! I could not get a bbs site to work and more so i could not get device installer detecting the lantronix :( I was really pissed! I had been on it for 3 to 4 days trying to get it back on the device installer with no luck? I was seriously thinking it was fried but the funny thing was everytime i plugged the lantronix in to the router the little orange light would flash as thought it was working and receiving data ??? But in my router under wired devices there was no ip address of the lantronix?

I contacted Lantronix only to be fobbed of with the lantronix UDS-10 was now obsolete and warranty ran out on them in 2008! Well i was not bothered they are obsolete i wanted mine working and they were really ignorant to helping me!!! and they had the cheek to send me a survey as it was important for the customer service LOL

Anway after reading and more reading in bed on the ipad i found that you can press x on the keyboard on a pc to log in to the device so after using hyperterminal on a winxp laptop i was finally logged in to my baby LOL oh i was over the moon :) So the i was able to assign my own ip address and get the subnet and gateway settings in and from there i have been able to get the lantronix talking to the c64/atari with the AT and ATDT commands but i'm not able to dial out to a bbs?

So thats were i am at for the moment i have tried all different settings in the channel 1 setting and nothing changes i still can't dial out???? Its really strange because i have gone through loads with good learning along the way but there is just something so small to do and i can call out?

I was reading a guys post and instructions on using the commodore64 with the lantronix and i have done most of his instructions apart from this guy has had to go in to his router and do some settings like port forwarding? This guy describes the lantronix connected to his c64 but the outside world like the world wide web will be blocked so i am thinking there is something in my router now thats blocking me from dialing out?

I'm not too good with router settings like port forwarding ive never had to do it so i suppose i will have a go :((

Hi DarkLord I have now got my atari setup connected to the 850 interface i have Bobterm 1.22 loaded i have the baud setting on the lantronix 9600 and set the same on Bobterm I have set Bobterm to FULL/ASCII/9600 and when i type AT it replies OK and if i type ATDT i get the ***nodeset 2.0***

I have just typed ATDT 173.80.198.175:23 and i got 192.168.0.1 and a mac address ? both the ip address and mac address is for my router?

Its doing exactly the same on the atari 800xl with Bobterm 1.22 and Commodore64 using Striketerm 2014 ????? So with both machines doing exactly the same i can't understand it?

There has got to be something so slight that needs changing in the lantronix to be able to dial out??

If i type QU then if i type the ip address again i get a no carrier?

On your ip address i have used a coma then the port number and i have used a colon with the port number and both give the same result? no carrier