IGNORED

atari 400 incognito like upgrade

candle

this is not about INIT code, but the fact that sector size grows up to 4k, and I simply don't have enough RAM for 4k sectors

for SIDE loader this is not an issue, as it reads whole clusters rather than sectors, and does this directly without any buffers in the middle, but for Jon's ATR handler this is major issue

SD cards would be ideal, but - again CPLD resources won't let me make this happend

i'll stick to CF and think of some nice way of moving this out of faraday's cage without increasing the cost

it all comes to the costs in the end... sad but true

Or perhaps a Keyboard-like ribbon cable sneaking under the cage - provided there are areas for snagging (a thin card or non-conductive element for low-profile protection).

If the cage can handle a couple of mm raised at one side, this may not be as bad as it sounds, once implemented.

this is not about INIT code, but the fact that sector size grows up to 4k, and I simply don't have enough RAM for 4k sectors

You'll never find an SD/HC/XC with anything but 512 byte sectors. I've certainly never seen one, nor had a report of one from any user anywhere in the world.

Everything from a v1 256MB SD card up to a brand new 64GB SDXC.

EDIT: I don't think that it's not that no card supports larger sectors, it's more that no OS will format a card in anything other than 512 byte sectors. Note that my tests with SDXC has the card formatted as FAT since there aren't any small/simple ExFAT filesystems out yet. I tend to use the ELM FatFS or PetitFFS, depending on the platform. The only issue you run into are people using Macs which give you all those extra directories and files that cover the resource fork of traditional Mac files.

Edited by Chilly Willy

• 3 months later...

The Incognito for the 800 is incompatible with the 400. I looked through this thread, looked like one was being worked on at some point, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I want to upgrade my 400 because I think it would be fun and would also make a pretty cool Atari 8bit gaming console.

From the initial post, it is my understanding that the 800 Incognito won't fit in the 400

- "basically it would be the same incognito board in form factor that would fit 400 motherboard"

So my question goes back to whether a (smaller) 400 Incognito would fit in the 800 and/or if there would need to be circuitry and software changes for the 400 as well, making it incompatible with the 800.

Thanks

There is a physical dilemma to face with the fact that the metal enclosure acting as a faraday cage (for RF and silly FCC guidlines) is blocking any practacle way of getting cables from the slots to the mainboard.

My own solution is to use a 1/2" Holesaw on the nearside to allow a hole for easy placing of through cables without looking like a butchers job. It will look neat and tidy and you wont see it unless you look right in the companrtment due to the location,

I can do this and demonstrate with a step by step picture manual, but i will need a 400 Incognito to do this....... ;)

this project will be using SD cards as a storage media, so there is no need to modify this mini-anvil aka faraday cage

currently there is one obstacle before me continuing the work - that is stability of lattice mach xo2 cpld programmer - each time i want to use it it behaves arratic

some days it will work flawlessly, others it won't work at all - don't have a clue what's up with it, but it severyl affect following project: lynx2lcd, simplestereo3 and this one lincognito-lite

there are some atari unrelated project on that list i've omitted

this project will be using SD cards as a storage media, so there is no need to modify this mini-anvil aka faraday cage

currently there is one obstacle before me continuing the work - that is stability of lattice mach xo2 cpld programmer - each time i want to use it it behaves arratic

some days it will work flawlessly, others it won't work at all - don't have a clue what's up with it, but it severyl affect following project: lynx2lcd, simplestereo3 and this one lincognito-lite

there are some atari unrelated project on that list i've omitted

Might be a stooopid question, but with the PCB card slots within the anvil and easy access needed - where would the CF slot be located?

Im thinking a two part device with a pcb array of terminals extended from the board? Do tell!

Might be a stooopid question, but with the PCB card slots within the anvil and easy access needed - where would the CF slot be located?

Im thinking a two part device with a pcb array of terminals extended from the board? Do tell!

You missed what Sebastian said: "this project will be using SD cards as a storage media", so there is no need to worry about CF card space as SD cards have a smaller footprint ;)

You missed what Sebastian said: "this project will be using SD cards as a storage media", so there is no need to worry about CF card space as SD cards have a smaller footprint ;)

CF or SD - the points been missed i think :) ... Space isnt my concern - im curious to know how the internal Card slot is populated/connected (which is required inside the shielding) and access to the SD slot is still acessable (outside the shielding).

If you recall the 800 incognito - this plugs into one of the slots and you can acess the card slot easily - on the 400 there is no acess to the interior that way. so something different is needed (unless card swopping required sheilds off every time).

Hope this makes sense,

Edited by Magic Knight

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm glad this has brought back interest and I want 1 or possibly 2 for myself as I like the idea of the SD card. Also is the Audio being modified so we get better audio outlet with the 400? This would be a Plus! Keep us informed on the progress both good and bad. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...