IGNORED

Just might enter the 5200 world...

Dauber

My 4 port 5200 was from a member here if I recall (apologies bad memory) IN AMAZING condition, with several games to go along with it, having heard all the hub bub about the controllers (none were included) I went ahead and took the plunge ordering the Gold Contact refurbed controller form BEST ELECTRONICS. With a very open mind but never having experienced the 5200 I agree the fire buttons are somewhat mushy and yes the joystick is definitely a acquired taste, when one is use to a typical joystick it does throw you off, but I kept at it and really have no problem with it now. I love the look and style of this beast of an Atari console lol. So yeah I do not have the same complaints of the controller but I am sure it helped getting the one I did from Best, as for the "spark" complaint from the switch box, yes I noticed that too, even I swear saw a tiny puff of smoke and smelled something a bit "concerning" lol but I attribute that to dust and not having been used a while and these days I hook up everything first and simply plug in the supply to the wall outlet LAST so everything is already connected there is not "spark".

Now the feel of the controllers is different, but for me it was a non issue. I've used controllers from many different systems. After getting used to the feel of that many controllers, learning the 5200 stick was easy. These days, I pretty much just pick up controllers for any system and go.

I've honestly never heard of the flex circuits cracking. Unless of course you bend them while taking the controller apart.

The controller issues are way WAY overblown. Yes, the fire buttons are famous for wearing out. Once you learn how to take apart and put a 5200 controller back together, you'll never have a problem with them again. I have four I acquired a LONG time ago. Tin foiled 'em for the fire button and they've all worked fine ever since. If I were to round up to the next highest dollar amount the cost to fix them, I would say it cost me one dollar.

And, I'm probably THE LEAST proficient person in the world when it comes to electronics. I've actually been banned from using a soldering gun in 48 of the 50 states.

As to the $50 pricetag, go for it definitely. Well worth the $$.

Hopefully the one working controller I have will be as reliable as yours.

I picked up a 5200 (2-port) about 4-5 years ago and it's my most-played classic system since. I did buy a rebuilt controller from Best, and beyond adjusting the pots once or twice a year, it's been maintenance free. Great console, imho, and that's not nostalgia speaking. There are a handful of games where the controllers cause problems, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I also like that the majority of the catalog is reasonably priced and not too hard to find. There are also some great homebrews (Adventure 2, Tempest, etc).

Well, I just got back from the store with the 5200. Came with pretty much nothing but a controller and, interestingly, one of those coax-to-RCA connectors. So I spent a few more bucks on Qix and Centipede just to have something to play.

When I told the guy at the counter I was going to buy it, he asked if I used to have one in the past or something. I told him no, and he started to warn me about the controllers! I told him I know the controllers suck, and he further warned me that the controller might work today, but it might not next week. I assured him I already knew about that as well! (What he DIDN'T know, though, is the incompatibility issue with Pitfall! in a 2-port!)

Anyhoo...I plugged it in, the thing worked, I played a couple of rounds of Centipede, then a quick round of Qix...until the fire button basically froze. :) Looks like I'm going to start tinkering!

Surprisingly, though, I got used to the controller pretty quickly...maybe because I already knew it wasn't self-centering?? I dunno...but it's not bad. (Then again, this is from the same guy who actually prefers the 7800 ProLine stick to the CX40!)

Edited by Dauber

Congrats on the purchase! May it bring you years of gaming joy!

Yeah, sound like you've got some 5200 tinkering ahead of you! Best Electronics has a nice guide on how to open the thing up that's well worth reading...

http://www.best-elec....com/cx52_j.htm

Looking back over it, I'm surprised they don't tell you to pop off the Start/Pause/Reset bezel before you split open the joystick. I've found that to be VERY important... failing to do so, you can easily damage the flex circuit underneath those buttons.

As you may have noticed, there's a wide variety of opinions on how best to fix those fire buttons (and you may as well work on the Start/Pause/Reset buttons while you have it open) I've had good luck with the tin foil dot method myself.

Interesting that you enjoy the 7800 controllers so much! As such, you may be a good candidate for actually enjoying the 5200 sticks. The side mounted fire buttons on both of them give me cramps real fast. But here's hoping they work well for you (once you have them reconditioned!) Good luck!

Edited by sdamon

Well, I already fixed the start/pause/reset strip using Krazy Glue and aluminum foil -- now those buttons work like a charm. :) Thankfully I found a YouTube video really quickly in which the guy said to first pop off that little button frame, so I was covered there. Now everything pulls to the right, and the fire button seems to be permanently on, which made for playing Centipede VERY interesting. I'm pretty sure the pulling-to-the-right problem means that I just need to adjust the pots underneath the stick, so no big deal. I'll try the foil trick on the rest of the buttons later.

5200 is great for the hobbyist/enthusiast gamer who enjoys fixing up the components, and buying some of the best peripherals ever manufactured. Back when it was new and I was a young man I just thought the world of the 5200 games themselves, thinking they were so arcade like. It's like the NEO GEO of 1983. Still one of my very favorite consoles.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman
  • Like 1

Surprisingly, though, I got used to the controller pretty quickly...maybe because I already knew it wasn't self-centering?? I dunno...but it's not bad.

No, you just have average or better gaming skills. That's all that is required to adapt to them. or at worst case a little practice. Some people suck at videogames and blame the controller.

• Like 1

:) Imo, I always felt the 5200 was soo much better than the 7800 (and even the NES) in so many ways. It's also way better than the 2600,and I know alot of people will disagree but it's true. It's underrated!!! I remember when the 7800 came out and thought how the graphics couldn't compare to the 5200's. Compare Pac-Man on 5200 to the NES version also and it's obvious the 5200 version is so much more better and closer to the arcade. You wouldn't find a better Centipede on any other system either. The 5200 has the best version,especially when you play it with the trakball controller.

The stock controllers aren't so bad once you get good ones and know how to fix them(or know someone who does). 2-port is the way to go.

I'm finding the graphics so far to be comparable to the 7800, but lemme tell ya...the sound is making all the difference. I understand why the 7800 uses TIA sound, but I don't understand why they couldn't have just also included the POKEY on board instead of having to stick 'em in select games, undoubtedly adding to the price of the games. I'm very impressed with the 5200's sound.

And I made another attempt at fixing the controller. I think I found a stray, pseudo-microscopic piece of metal under one of the fire buttons, which would explain why the games were in constant rapid fire. Took a clean pencil eraser to the fire button contacts, and then aluminum foiled all the buttons. Adjusted the top pot to 9:00 and the bottom pot to 6:00. Now? PERFECTLY functioning controller! Now I just need to get more games. :)

• Like 4

All this talk about the 5200 made me dust off my four port and put it back into action. Had some lines on the screen for a bit, but cleaning the cartridge contacts took care of most of that. The rest is probably RF noise from all the crappy modern electronics in the house. Got to say, I've been having a blast and since this one can take the 2600 converter, I will be getting that out soon as well! 5200 still rocks! Gonna dig out the two port out of storage and try it out next.

I think if I did run across one locally at a decent price I might pick it up and if the controllers don't work, make it a long term project. Part of me thinks its odd to own a 2600 and a 7800 but not the 5200. Its like only owning "A New Hope" and "Return of the Jedi" but not "Empire"

However I decided long ago to go with the 800XL for simplicity and the games are virtually the same (and there are many more to choose from) and I can use any standard joystick I want.

I would like a 5200 just to have one in the collection but if I'm going to choose either a 5200 or 800XL to actually pull out and play I may stick with the computer for simplicity sake. I have eased off my dislike for the 5200 but I still prefer the 8-bit computer line personally.

• Like 2

I think if I did run across one locally at a decent price I might pick it up and if the controllers don't work, make it a long term project. Part of me thinks its odd to own a 2600 and a 7800 but not the 5200. Its like only owning "A New Hope" and "Return of the Jedi" but not "Empire"

Just like Empire is the best in the series, so is the 5200. :)

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

• Like 1

I'm finding the graphics so far to be comparable to the 7800, but lemme tell ya...the sound is making all the difference. I understand why the 7800 uses TIA sound, but I don't understand why they couldn't have just also included the POKEY on board instead of having to stick 'em in select games, undoubtedly adding to the price of the games. I'm very impressed with the 5200's sound.

And I made another attempt at fixing the controller. I think I found a stray, pseudo-microscopic piece of metal under one of the fire buttons, which would explain why the games were in constant rapid fire. Took a clean pencil eraser to the fire button contacts, and then aluminum foiled all the buttons. Adjusted the top pot to 9:00 and the bottom pot to 6:00. Now? PERFECTLY functioning controller! Now I just need to get more games. :)

Excellent. Once you demystify the 5200 controller, there's nothing in the way of fully enjoying the system. My recommendations for future purchases:

* One more 5200 controller and a controller coupler (to play Space Dungeon and Robotron)

* Berzerk (such a great, difficult game and so much better than any other version)

* 5200 Track ball to play Centipede and Galaxian

* Masterplay interface / Competition Pro joystick / Wico joystick

* Multicart

So Dauber, it sounds like you only own 2 carts so far - Qix and Centipede? Those are great 5200 games though. You should be able to find, either at flea mart type places or online/ebay, many many carts at cheap prices.

From the classic games, I'd recommend Missile Command right off the bat. There is not a better version on home console. The analog sticks really make the game fun. Sure, Trak-ball is fun too , but not required to enjoy it. You'll enjoy the awesomely tough Berzerk, too. It has speech and plays well. If your stick is too loose and your man keeps running into walls , remember that when you press the fire button, he stops moving. You can use that to fine-tune the controls around walls, if needed.

Once you get enough carts, join some of the 5200 HSC rounds.