IGNORED

How to recognize an NTSC NES cart

karokoenig

So, I bought this copy of "Monster in my Pocket" on eBay. It gives me the blinking red light and blinking startup screen. Since I cleaned it thoroughly before use, and every other game works fine, I got a suspicion that the bastard sold me an NTSC cart without mentioning it in the auction. I'm in Germany and the seller is also german. What struck me was that the "warning" text on the back was english only (you know - the one with "do not immerse in water" etc., while on my other carts it's multilingual. It may still be that this cart is UK only, which should still work fine on my german NES - I don't know enough to tell.

So, what exact criteria are on the carts/labels that tell me I have an NTSC cart? Anyone?

• 1 month later...

Games giving problems would only involve import games.

Example: Buy an NTSC adventure of link and put it in a PAL console.

The screen scrolling on top of the screen (life and magic bar part) acts weird and the pitch of sound is a little bit of and slower.

Many games work good, except for the sound being slower than it's supposed to be.

I played several imports on my PAL nes (US and JAP famicom games with an adapter to 72pins) and never bothered the slower sound.

Some import games (mach rider, Challenger, F1-RACE) are really unplayable....but it's not a big deal.

About the mod, you really can't mess it up.

It's the first mod I ever did in a console, and after doing the first, I ended up modding ever NES in the house (I was about 18 or 19 years old).

Just open up your NES, locate the CIC chips, cut pin 4....that's it

Some people feel safer connecting the pin to GND with a wire, but I never did (left it floating)

I did solder it to GND in my SNES, but that's another story.....