IGNORED

Atari CX78 Worth it

adolobe

If you can get the gamepad for a good price (they can occaisionally go for 'cheap' on ebay, rather than pay the $30 plus that others charge) I strongly reccomend that you do so. For me, it just make the games a lot easier to manage. Plus, it seems like the pads were far less fragile than the doorstops. It's not a perfect controller yet (the thumbstick tends to exaggerate your 'up' movements, for instance) but it's a far better fit for a lot of games.

Plenty of people seem to like the 7800 joypads, but as for me, they're not worth it. I bought mine a few years ago, expecting that they'd solve my problems with the system. They didn't. A modified Genesis controller worked much better for me. Check with Ax -- he sometimes mods NES controllers to work with the 7800 and makes them available on here. IMO, that would be a better solution.

But, again, YMMV. Lots of folks seem to like the 7800 joypads. I'm just not one of them. :)

Best Electronics sells new ones for $17 so I bit the bullet and ordered me one

Oops, I hadn't seen that before I posted. Well, at least you're not out very much money if it doesn't end up solving the problem. :)

I've got a set and I generally like the Europads...

Then again, I'm not a huge joypad fan in general, but enough games that I like use the 2nd button that I went for the pads.

I haven't tried the prolines tho. At some time, I might order a set to see...

desiv

I never liked the Proline so I decided to give a CX78 a try. I found it very sloppy and inaccurate.. Asteroids was unplayable for me. I fell back on one of my favorite 2600/8-bit controllers, the Suncom TAC-2. Lacks the second button, but its accurate and asthetically its a good match for the 7800 with the black case and aluminum trim.

• Like 1

Like I said, the thumbstick will exaggerate the movements (particularly up) because of how the pressure-point works. (The NES pad with the stick screwed in will do the same thing). It takes a little getting used to , particularly for some 'non-forgiving' games like Asteroids. A lot of people really like the GEN controller as well, but you again lack the second button without a fairly involved modding process.

• 3 weeks later...

Gamepads are fine but a joystick is a must for any 'Pac-Man' type game. Games like Double Dragon, Rampage, Midnight Mutants...I can see possibly with a gamepad on the 7800. But others like Impossible Mission, Donkey Kong, and the aforementioned 'Pac-Man' type games suffer badly without a joystick,

Then again, I guess it is what you grew up on...Golden Age of Arcade games and Atari 2600 were my first and long term experience with gaming. Sure I had/have an NES too, but some games are just meant or/and designed to work best utilizing a joystick.

Currently use an awesome modified 7800 joystick by Yurkie for the 7800. Best controller I've used for that system. I also have the CX10, 'clones', Competition Pros, and NES Advantage joysticks modified by the.golden ax, which also work very well.

I guess my problem with joysticks are the Prolines and others like them put the torque or tension on the gamer's hand. I grew up in the local arcades and threw as much money in the games at the pizza places as I could, but an arcade stick is mounted to something. I like the Advantage because it sits well on a table or desk. To me the best stick would be that or a custom arcade stick or an x-arcade. Then I'd start pulling my hair out over 4 way vs 8 way sticks. I'll always find something to gripe about. The only controller I ever loved like the perfect old t shirt was the Sega Saturn v2 pad. Love that thing; I would use it on every system if I could.

I guess my problem with joysticks are the Prolines and others like them put the torque or tension on the gamer's hand. I grew up in the local arcades and threw as much money in the games at the pizza places as I could, but an arcade stick is mounted to something. I like the Advantage because it sits well on a table or desk. To me the best stick would be that or a custom arcade stick or an x-arcade. Then I'd start pulling my hair out over 4 way vs 8 way sticks. I'll always find something to gripe about. The only controller I ever loved like the perfect old t shirt was the Sega Saturn v2 pad. Love that thing; I would use it on every system if I could.

Remove torque and tension from the 7800 sticks here: http://www.atariage....3/#entry2525324

Pic:

http://www.atariage....ttach_id=245108

"To me the best stick would be that or a custom arcade stick..."

Along with my others controllers I have a HotRodSE with USB modification :-D

The question is how do you do rapid fire on a painline. the directional is good.

I use the telegames version of the pain line, it's a little smaller and has autofire

http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=7800&ControllerID=28

They still come up on eBay UK new from time to time.

As for the cx 78, I think they are horrible,but I am a joystick kind of guy. They make good donors to hack other joysticks /pads though. Got about a dozen of them in mg garage for pojects