IGNORED

Noob questions

Jamesapp

Hello,

Just a little background, I bought an atari 7800 on eBay. Also got some games and a couple of joysticks.

I am interested in programming for my 7800. I have fooled around with programming on and off for several years. I even took a class on assembly language in college. I am not the best programmer, but I love it.

A lot of times I will get a programming book and follow along as best as I can.

A couple of noob questions, I see post of people talking about games. I wondered are these games, original? Or are they games ported to work on the atari? Is it possible to write a new game from scratch. Are these games available to buy? Like could I buy a game cartridge that I could plug into my 7800?

Anyway, I'm trying not to be to ambitious. But I would love to learn.

Hello,

Hello!

Just a little background, I bought an atari 7800 on eBay. Also got some games and a couple of joysticks.

Congrats. Good choice, great little system!!!

I am interested in programming for my 7800. I have fooled around with programming on and off for several years. I even took a class on assembly language in college. I am not the best programmer, but I love it.

Great! Always place for more 7800 devs!!! There's a whole development forum for that. It's the top forum under this one (7800).

Or you can click this:

http://www.atariage....00-programming/

A couple of noob questions, I see post of people talking about games. I wondered are these games, original? Or are they games ported to work on the atari? Is it possible to write a new game from scratch. Are these games available to buy? Like could I buy a game cartridge that I could plug into my 7800?

The answer to all of those questions is YES. ;-)

There are of course the original original games.

There are a lot of hacks (modifications of original games). This appears to be a great way to learn about 7800 game programming.

There are ports of games, either using bits of the original code / logic (sometimes when feasible) or total rewrites of the ported game.

There are totally original games.

The 7800 is a hotbed of Homebrew development. One of the best out there...

Yes, frequently, the games are available for sale as carts. Sometimes complete with manuals and boxes and just INCREDIBLE looking...

Anyway, I'm trying not to be to ambitious. But I would love to learn.

Awesome..

Good luck..

desiv

Edited by desiv

Hi,

Desiv has answered most of you questions.

You buy most of the homebrew games from Atari age store.

There are game developers on the 7800 forum such as Grooveybee. They are willing to help a programmer if the person asks. People on the 7800 forums in general like to give feedback to games that being developed in terms of how they play.