IGNORED

What capacitors should I have on hand for general console repair?

guy767

I'm a newb when it comes to console repair and looking for advice. I want to place a relatively large order At Digikey and stock up on some useful parts like CR-2032 batteries and capacitors.

The problem is that I'm not sure what types of capacitors I should have on hand. What are the most common and useful to have? I'm looking to replace the caps on the following consoles...

Atari 2600

Game Gear

Game Boy

Turbo Express

I'm also looking for advice on what Multimeter should I buy. I want to spend under $50 for a quality brand that will last me years and has temperature measurement as well. Any recommendations?

Also what type of solder and gauge is best for console repair? 60/40, 63/37? RA, RMA? 22 gauge or 18 gauge? What brand of solder is recommended? Kester, Multicore, or is generic good enough? Please help a relatively confused newb out. Thanks ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about having a general stock of caps, places like Digikey make it simple and quick to get what you need in a timely manner.

The only one i'd buy in huge bulk is the ceramic .1uF, it's everywhere for supply bypassing. However it rarely needs replaced, mostly I use them when making new circuits.

For electrolytics, 220uF is very common for video mods and 2200uF and 1500uF are common for power caps.

I would find a list of exactly what caps are in each of the consoles you are repairing and just buy extras of each. I usually buy one quantity tier or more higher than I need for the best discount.

Just be sure to pay attention to capacitance and voltage capabilities of the caps, get the same or higher than the one you're replacing, never lower. Also keep in mind physical size, the higher the capacity and voltage the bigger the size, kind of important inside those handhelds...

A $50 meter that is quality that will last for years and has temp? Not out of the question, though you may change your mind once you see these vids:

That's the eevblog playlist for multimeters, lots of reviews but also $50 and $100 meter shootouts.

He also has playlists for other beginner stuff like soldering.

https://www.youtube....g?feature=watch

There's a vid in there about soldering including what solder to use, but I use 60/40 .020" rosin core, I think that's 25 gauge. I really don't get hung up on brand.

• Like 1

Awesome stuff; I couldn't have hoped for a better reply. I especially appreciate the eevblog play list; so much useful information.

I never considered Youtube as a legitimate source of learning I'm ashamed to admit. I just thought it was for keyboard cats and mind numbing Lets play Minecraft videos. Can't believe some people make a living doing LP MC videos; I'm disgusted and envious all at the same time! :lol:

I'm going with the Amprobe AM-520 for a Multimeter. It has everything I want and Amprobe is a relatively respected brand. I believe Fluke purchased them a few years ago.

I also found a useful thread on the Digitpress forums that gives a decent list of common parts that are nice to have on hand. Between your excellent advice and that thread I think I'm all set.

Since I'm a newb I'll just get the caps needed for Game Gear repair and start from there. I can handle though hole soldering jobs pretty well but surface mount scares me still. I think the Game Gear will be a good start to get my feet wet.

I just repaired a few Colecovisions by removing and cleaning the power switches and repaired a Sega Master System player 1 port by resolderig the jack so I'm feeling pretty confident.

I just hope I don’t end up burning my house down eventually! :lol: Seriously though, thanks for the useful reply; it's appreciated.

Edited by guy767