IGNORED

The strangest things happen late at night...

DarkLord

For example, just about 15 minutes ago, my STacy *wirelessly* telnetted to

the DarkForce! BBS.

What was involved you ask? Not much, just my STacy, a Lantronix UDS10,

and a Dlink 810+. What the heck is a Dlink 810+? Glad you asked. :)

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-810-Ethernet-Wireless-802-11b/dp/B000088NO6

post-5822-0-44480000-1360994316_thumb.jpg

I'll try to put a small video and/or pictures together in a few days.

• Like 1

That looks very similar to the Buffalo Ethernet Converter.

post-16281-0-41131000-1361006994_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-00089200-1361006994_thumb.jpg

This allows 4 Ethernet devices (at once) to join a wireless network. I've been using one since 2007 (or thereabouts) and it absolutely rocks! I've mostly used it with desktop PCs, but I've used it with PS2, Xbox (original), and even a 2nd wireless router. The Buffalo has a removable antenna and when you unscrew it, it's a standard RP-SMA connector. I bought cheap Ebay "pigtail" and cabling, and with an external antenna, it can pick up my router through a brick walls (or anyone else's router in the neighborhood). But the Nintendo DS couldn't so I plugged in spare ($5/Goodwill) Linksys router and it set up a 2nd Wi-Fi spot in the room, and I didn't even have to configure anything (didn't even look at a menu or setting). I was laughing, as I played Advance Wars against a friend on the DS.

I paid $50 for the first one - new. I quickly became so dependent upon it, I bought a couple spares off Ebay for like $15-$20. I don't think they're made anymore, but they're always on Ebay, but prices fluctuate, depending upon how many are listed. This is *definitely* a recommended piece of hardware. After 6 years, I've never had to use the spare(s).

Prices also fluctuated widely for these, due to a lawsuit against Buffalo over their wireless products, which was eventually settled. At one time, there was a shortage (or fear of shortage) and these went for $100-$200 on Ebay!!!! Then they came back down.

This is one of the most impressive pieces of consumer tech I've ever bought. I don't see why anybody would put a "wireless card" in a desktop PC and have to screw with it, when the ethernet port is already there, and this is easier and more versatile. In about 6 years, I've never even had to "reboot" it.

Don't take my word, it has numerous excellent user reviews on:

Newegg.com and Amazon.com

Edited by wood_jl

That looks very similar to the Buffalo Ethernet Converter.

post-16281-0-41131000-1361006994_thumb.jpg

post-16281-0-00089200-1361006994_thumb.jpg

This allows 4 Ethernet devices (at once) to join a wireless network. I've been using one since 2007 (or thereabouts) and it absolutely rocks! I've mostly used it with desktop PCs, but I've used it with PS2, Xbox (original), and even a 2nd wireless router. The Buffalo has a removable antenna and when you unscrew it, it's a standard RP-SMA connector. I bought cheap Ebay "pigtail" and cabling, and with an external antenna, it can pick up my router through a brick walls (or anyone else's router in the neighborhood). But the Nintendo DS couldn't so I plugged in spare ($5/Goodwill) Linksys router and it set up a 2nd Wi-Fi spot in the room, and I didn't even have to configure anything (didn't even look at a menu or setting). I was laughing, as I played Advance Wars against a friend on the DS.

I paid $50 for the first one - new. I quickly became so dependent upon it, I bought a couple spares off Ebay for like $15-$20. I don't think they're made anymore, but they're always on Ebay, but prices fluctuate, depending upon how many are listed. This is *definitely* a recommended piece of hardware. After 6 years, I've never had to use the spare(s).

Prices also fluctuated widely for these, due to a lawsuit against Buffalo over their wireless products, which was eventually settled. At one time, there was a shortage (or fear of shortage) and these went for $100-$200 on Ebay!!!! Then they came back down.

This is one of the most impressive pieces of consumer tech I've ever bought. I don't see why anybody would put a "wireless card" in a desktop PC and have to screw with it, when the ethernet port is already there, and this is easier and more versatile. In about 6 years, I've never even had to "reboot" it.

Don't take my word, it has numerous excellent user reviews on:

Newegg.com and Amazon.com

That's an impressive looking device. Thanks for posting all the info about it. Might have to take a look

at acquiring one of those too! :)

So it's a wireless AP in bridge mode? Any $30 wifi router flashed with dd-wrt/tomato will do this.

Well, that's nice to know. I wasn't claiming this product is Almighty God, just that it's good.

Also, not "any" wifi router. A router that isn't locked down, and IS supported. There are tons of routers that won't work. When I last looked into doing this a few years ago, there were so many revisions of the routers (even a common model like the Linksys WRT54g) that you can lose count. Some that did support it, some that wouldn't. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Plus configuring DD-WRT/Tomato is not an easy thing. I'll admit I'm pretty dumb with this stuff, and some guy I know (who knows more about this stuff than I - like most people) said it wasn't the easiest thing to do. Also, I have not investigated DD-WRT/Tomato for a few years. Perhaps it is easier, now.

Regardless, a plug-and-play solution - CHEAP - is more appealing.

Here's the last one I bought.....

post-16281-0-92061200-1361056294_thumb.jpg

$16.50 shipped. Plug it in and go. I don't see any reason for regret.

That's an impressive looking device. Thanks for posting all the info about it. Might have to take a look

at acquiring one of those too! :)

Put "Buffalo Ethernet Converter" and/or "wli-tx4-g54hp" in your Ebay "saved searches" and be patient, and you can get one for very little, eventually. If you search "sold listings" you'll see ones that sold for $20 recently.

Now, that Lantronix UDS-10 is an impressive piece of tech that I have never seen before! Wow man, how did you learn about that?????

Now, that Lantronix UDS-10 is an impressive piece of tech that I have never seen before! Wow man, how did you learn about that?????

Can't take credit for that. Way back when the Internet finally got to our county (handful of providers started offering service here), BBS

calls started dropping off like crazy. Atari Corp had already fallen, so I was a bit disgruntled and with everyone moving to web use, I

finally called it a day and took my BBS down from active service. No one wanted to make long distance calls.

A few years later (approx. 5), I was trolling through some 8bit forum and was reading how the 8bit BBS SysOps were putting their

BBS's back online via telnet. Seems they had found this serial port to LAN converter that seamlessly did the trick. I jumped into the

thick of the conversation, and although no one at the time had done it with any of the ST BBS's, I took a chance and bought one.

Some time later, with some experimentation and lots of help from Marius (SysOp of the Atari Inside BBS), I got it working.

As an added bonus, you can use the Lantronix to dial into other BBS's/comps with your machine. (like I did with the STacy).

Too bad you can't do more than telnet with the Lantronix, but I'm just seriously happy they exist.

Yep, that pretty well sums it up. :)