IGNORED

Galaga for the Atari XL

billkendrick

I was playing Galaga on my Nintendo NES last night, and noticed that the enemies don't move quite as smoothly as they do in the arcade. I realized, for the most part, they must be made of 'character' shapes, and decided that a decent-looking Galaga clone could be made for the Atari 8-bit.

I decided to whip up some graphics in The Gimp to get an idea of what the bugs could look like in 14 colors (Super IRG mode), and here's what I've come up with:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atari-galaga/

I don't have the time (and I feel I lack the skill) to code the actual gameplay, but I'm willing to help with design and graphics, if someone out there wants to code it. :^) I'd LOVE to see a good Galaga clone on the XL!

post-3025-1045259466.gif

Its surprising that Galaga is not on the computer. I had always assumed it had been released under the XE banner. Too bad, the 7800 version is quite good but I'm sure the extra power of the computer could have made a more challenging port.

I think the 7800 has much better sprite capabilities than the 8-bit computers. Remember, the 8-bit computers were designed in the late 70s, the 7800 is at least four years newer than that. The sprite needs of 2D consoles were much better understood when the 7800 was designed. Of course, the sound capabilities are better on the 8-bit (except if you wanted to stuff a Pokey into your 7800 cart!)

I'd love to see how an 8-bit version of Galaga would come out!

..Al