IGNORED

POLE POSITION 2 disassy

Blue Azure

This should raise an eyebrow or two. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that anyone has the source list for PP2, either the on-board BIOS version or the external cart version. They existed at one time, but 30 years later, still no can find. Curt doesn't have it, I don't have it. Mitch?

Caution, this is just an attempt at a raw disassembly. It has all the bytes in order and full assembly coding. In other words, virtually useless, although a level above the raw hex dump. This one joins ROBOTRON in not having the GCC © 1984 on it. Of course the copyright is implied, but I wonder how/why it was removed. There is no High Score Card (HSC) support on this one. Don't know why.

NTSC POLE POSITION 2 disassembly, fully UN-commented...

PP2_NTSC_7228_Disassembly1.rtf

If anyone has the original source list, or partial thereof, or just the prolog equates section, GIMME GIMME GIMME. I am hopeful to cut out the collision detect someday so I quit mowing down the signs, and disable the countdown clock so I can play longer. It's a great game I just picked up to play for the first time in decades. THX, BLUEman

• 7 months later...

Revisiting this title I have made some progress in the raw disassembly. I found the DOTUNE sub and the GAMEOVER proc. I'm still not at invincibility, but closing in...

This is the 7800 PP2 disassembly update...

PP2_NTSC_7228_Disassy2.rtf

Here's all the calls to the DOTUNE sub located at $DEF3; more time is required to identify all the tunes...

PP2_DOTUNE_LDEF3.rtf

There is only one GAMEOVER located at $DA1C, but 4 calls to it...

PP2_GAMEOVER_DA1C.rtf

I've got it to the point where the game counts down to zero time remaining, and the race continues with the competitor cars passing by, but you lose control of your car, no steering, no throttle - effectively ending the game. Still haven't found the collision detection when you hit the signs at the side of the road.

///bluemann///