IGNORED

Ebay seller lost my item

lbaeza

Hi Guys

I won eBay item #111011833370, and as usual I paid right away.

However, time goes by with no sign of my item being shipped.

Later I checked my messages on the eBay inbox, and found this message from the seller:

"This item has been lost please cancel the order, a refund will be included. "

Strange because the seller has a 100% positive feedback. And according to this document...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

... is the Seller the one who must first contact the buyer and then cancel the transaction.

I suspect the seller is backing because the item did not sell well, in fact I think I was the only bidder for that item.

What do you guys recommend?

Have you ever faced a similar situation?

Is this situation any common?

Kind regards

He might be unhappy with the sale. Or he could have legitimately lost the item. Stuff happens, and there's no way for you to know at the end of the day. As long as you get your money back in full, there's not too much you can do.

Be interesting though if he relists the item further down the road. ;)

I'd want a *detailed* explanation. I'd be inclined to leave him neutral feedback, anyway. Even if it really IS lost, that's completely irresponsible. He hasn't been on Ebay long (17 transactions) , and if he's just holding out for more money and scamming, he's not going to learn any other way. He already has one neutral feedback ("Chew marks on earpiece, not disclossed in the item description.") so he obviously hasn't been maintaining the highest of standards.

Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I try really hard when I sell on Ebay (not too often, but several times) , and shoddy treatment when the tables are turned rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 1

As long as you get your money back... this is much better than a seller sending you beat up things that are not what was shown in the listing and not what you purchased. I would much rather a seller cancel a sale than send me some crap that doesn't represent what I purchased. There are far, far worse things than a seller cancelling... as long as you get your money back :)

It's worth a neutral. Stuff like slow shipping - while irritating - is at least understandable in part, due to human laziness that affects us all, and the possibility that there was a real issue in the seller's life.

But "losing" the item, particularly when it sold cheap? It's not worth a NEG, but at that price?

(1) If this item is not really lost (malfeasance), then the low price is precisely the reason for this situation, to begin with. Seller wants more money and is backing out of the contract.

or

(2) If this item is really lost then it's utter irresponsibility. You don't enter into contracts with merchandise you value so little that you can't keep up with it.

So, it's one or the other. I agree it is NOT worth a NEG, but perhaps a neutral.

As far as getting your money back - of course! If they refused to refund or send merchandise, an Ebay case would be opened and he'd be refunded anyway.

As far as sending beat-up things that are not represented in the description or pics: That's just blatant misrepresentation, and a separate issue.

Another thing that doesn't have to do with this case (but I'm bringing it up anyway) is when the seller packs stuff woefully inadequate and it's damaged. Who pays return shipping?

I got stiffed on this deal.....

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/98341-whats-the-latest-atari-related-things-youve-bought-on-ebay/page__view__findpost__p__2615543

.....and I left a NEUTRAL. I didn't get my $20 return shipping back. Add that to the hassle of re-boxing, posting. I had to find a bigger box, as I couldn't in good conscience fit the trashed part in that box. Afterwards, I felt lucky to get anything back, from someone careless enough to send something like that, and thoughtless enough to put someone else out the return shipping and hassle for their own negligence. Seller replied "Item was professionally packaged by Postal Annex shipping center." Yeah, looks really professional! Made me sorry I didn't leave a NEG.

Careful dealing with that one.

You do have recourse. Leave negative feedback. If the seller's only message to you was the quote posted above with no further explanation, a negative is deserved. If I no longer had an item I sold, or had misplaced it, I would explain the situation in great detail and offer the buyer some extra money for the trouble. In today's Ebay, negative feedback and low DSR ratings really hurt sellers.

OK Guys

Thanks for your feedback. I will ask for more details to the seller and see what happens.

Who starts the process of cancelling a transaction? Me or the seller?

Ebay docs say the seller start the process...but this is the first time I face this situation.

Any of you guys has ever cancelled a transaction, as a buyer?

Kind regards

As the buyer, you have to agree to cancel the transaction. The seller would want you to do so because he or she would have to pay Final Value fees if you don't agree. If I were you, I wouldn't agree. You can also contact eBay customer service and ask that the seller be marked as a "non-selling seller." I don't think this does very much unless a lot of people complain this way against the seller.

Who starts the process of cancelling a transaction? Me or the seller?

Ebay docs say the seller start the process...but this is the first time I face this situation.

Don't do anything. All you care about is getting your money back. If there are selling fees (etc.) that's not your problem. Ask for your refund, and remind the seller that it's button-pushing to make it happen, and once that's done, it occurs at the speed with which electrons travel. There's no reason to wait.

• Like 1

For that price its not worth the neg.

Why does the cost of the item come into play? He's deserving of a neg whether it was $9.99 or .99 cents. Lost. Yea right.

In all honesty you should have steered clear. $19 bucks to ship a cassette player? He's deceiving with the shipping costs trying to pad his profit. Never support someone who pulls that shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that after several days asking for more details to the seller on how my item got lost, I finally got a refund.

The seller added this message to the refund: "Sorry for the problem".

I have no idea what happened to my item, the seller never provided additional information.

What's next? Do I have to leave a eBay feedback?

Do you want me guys to post the seller information here?

Regards

I would leave the NEUTRAL feedback. "Claimed lost item and 10 days before refund" would be a good suggestion.

(1) Never should have lost the item.

(2) Should have given INSTANT refund. Refund should occur at the speed with which electrons move (~instant) as soon as it was determined you were due a refund. In the modern world, you push a button to make it happen. You could have been sent a money order through snail-mail and received it in less time.

They did not do you any favors here. Refunding is not a favor when they failed.

• Like 1