IGNORED

Case Mod

Zoyx

First, that thing is ugly as heck, and second, did he actually finish it?

I like how it had the Jaguar controller. Nice choice. He was obviously skilled enough to make a new PCB and all, just has a weird idea of what makes a good looking console. But to each their own.

So what would it take to modify a XEGS to be a 5200? :)

I don't know ... it doesn't look any worse to my eyes than some of Ben Heckendorn's creations.

I brought it up as an example because, with the 5200 motherboard being as large as it is (about 14.5" by 10.5"), the only way you're going to get a 5200 into a much smaller case is to create a new board. It's too bad that the 5100 design pictured on Curt Vendel's website was never produced; it's a nice-looking system.

I don't know ... it doesn't look any worse to my eyes than some of Ben Heckendorn's creations.

I brought it up as an example because, with the 5200 motherboard being as large as it is (about 14.5" by 10.5"), the only way you're going to get a 5200 into a much smaller case is to create a new board. It's too bad that the 5100 design pictured on Curt Vendel's website was never produced; it's a nice-looking system.

There is a lot of air inside the 5200 console. The controller cradle area is one obvious subtraction.

I think the Atari 7800 case is the best designed of the three Atari game systems from that period. Four, if you include the XE Game System.

Controller cradles are nice, but even the Intellivision system (both the original and INTV II models) had them while being at a more modest size.

Aesthetics aside, yes I did finish it. It has a complete menu and everything built in, so you can select a game using the menu and play it. Also, I built that a long time ago, before easy access to laser cutters, 3D printers and stuff like that. I cared more about the technical challenge than the looks. It's pretty much obsolete now, however, with the advent of my "all in one" FPGA console. Now that I *do* have access to a laser cutter, making eye pleasing casings is much, much easier. Also, that design is all through hole, so it looks massive by today's standards. These days everything I make is nearly 100% surface mount.

• Like 2

Aesthetics aside, yes I did finish it. It has a complete menu and everything built in, so you can select a game using the menu and play it. Also, I built that a long time ago, before easy access to laser cutters, 3D printers and stuff like that. I cared more about the technical challenge than the looks. It's pretty much obsolete now, however, with the advent of my "all in one" FPGA console. Now that I *do* have access to a laser cutter, making eye pleasing casings is much, much easier. Also, that design is all through hole, so it looks massive by today's standards. These days everything I make is nearly 100% surface mount.

well .

repro case 5200 parts are in very high demand...

Edited by marialisar

well .

repro case 5200 parts are in very high demand...

What parts? The whole case, a smaller 5200 console, or something else? If it's flat and can be cut out, that's extremely easy to do. cases with depth are made out of 6 or more parts put together. Again, that's easy to do too. The third method is stacking plates cut out of 3mm or similar sheet material. Easy as well but uses up more material.