IGNORED

ATARI 5200

orion1052003

I have the 2 port 5200. I read that there are differences in capabilities between the earlier and later models, besides the amount of ports being 2 or 4. I think lower serials numbers of the 2 port vs. the later 2 port models also have some different capabilities or something. Does anybody know the details? What does EP 268 mean? What is the significance of the serial number 124653?

This must be the correct power adaptor? I don't want to fry it. It says for use with 5200 right on it, so I'm figuring it must be. Didn't want to use an old atari computer adaptor and blow it up if this is actually a computer power adaptor. It is big like one you would expect on a computer, and I bought the adaptor separately from the 5200 unit, at a goodwill.

What do people typically use for a controller? A Wico controller with the 5200 cable and the original controller in the other port for START and PAUSE?

orion

post-19460-0-97247200-1363303941_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-99433400-1363303960_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-24257800-1363303981_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-99966600-1363303996_thumb.jpg

post-19460-0-52192700-1363304009_thumb.jpg

2-port and 4-port models use the same power pak. The only difference is that it plugs into the RFU on the 4-port and plugs into the console on the 2-port.

Other difference I know if is that the early 4-port consoles will not play VCS games via the adapter add-on, while later 4-port and 2-port models do.

Also, 2-port 5200's do not play all 5200 games in the original library while 4-port 5200's do.

2-port and 4-port models use the same power pak. The only difference is that it plugs into the RFU on the 4-port and plugs into the console on the 2-port.

Other difference I know if is that the early 4-port consoles will not play VCS games via the adapter add-on, while later 4-port and 2-port models do.

Also, 2-port 5200's do not play all 5200 games in the original library while 4-port 5200's do.

I thought all 4 ports were not usable with the vcs adapter. If not then how do I tell if I have a late or early model.

I thought all 4 ports were not usable with the vcs adapter. If not then how do I tell if I have a late or early model.

It should have either a + or * in the serial number, though not all of them do.

Early 2port systems have the original BIOS that plays all of the games and not the revised BIOS that has compatibility problems with three games.

Mitch

It should have either a + or * in the serial number, though not all of them do.

Early 2port systems have the original BIOS that plays all of the games and not the revised BIOS that has compatibility problems with three games.

Mitch

So you're saying some 4 ports without + or * can still use the vcs adapter??

• Like 1

i wish you luck with your new adventure ,dont give up, dont panic,take it slow

do you have a game? to get the best output to channel 3 i suggest a straight rca-female to f-connector-male they used to have them at radio shack i havent been there since they pretty much turned into a cell phone store

mine is a 4 port that does not work with the 2600 adapter which i have ive made and adapted probably more controllers than anybody

check previous posts for the games that are most fun you can often get a game lot cheap on the ebay they will always come with pacman since it was the pack in game for most systems (mine came with superbreakout) as far as i can tell the only 4 player games are superbreakout and tennis

the games that require analog controls are superbreakout,kaboom,gorf,missle command,star wars

a few other games make use of analog but you can get by without

the wico stick is neat but it pretty much doesnt solve the problem people have which is non working start buttons so if you get a controller that wont press start there are a few games that start with a fire button (robotron,mr do)

2 games are dual stick optimized robotron,space dungeon

if you have basic soldering skills i can walk you through adapting a 2600 controller or a pc gameport jjoystick or pad

or if you have a little money i could send you a gamepad with an adapter for like $25

Yes, I have one of those. Any 4 port can be modified to use the adapter, and I believe Atari Service did a number of them back in the day.

So yours was serviced also? Or it came like that form the factory like that and works with the 2600 adapter with out the + or * in the serial number? Mine doesn't have a + or * either. So I need a better way to tell if mine can use the adapter or not.

So yours was serviced also? Or it came like that form the factory like that and works with the 2600 adapter with out the + or * in the serial number? Mine doesn't have a + or * either. So I need a better way to tell if mine can use the adapter or not.

I'm guessing that it was serviced, but I don't know for sure. Most 4-ports without the + or * won't work with the adapter, but if you really want to know (short of just plugging one in), you could try opening it up and looking for the mod.

I don't believe there's a 4 port motherboard that will work with the adapter without it (but I could be wrong about that... Someone please correct me if I am.)

I was indeed wrong about this... Corrected info below.

I don't know the answers to these questions but the below link has schematics of the different motherboards and instructions for installing the mod if you want to dig into it. Just taking a quick look, I do see that the asterisk systems did have another motherboard with its own part #...

CA018087 (4-Port Original)

CA020108 (4-Port "Universal")

So if your mobo's part # is CA020108, you're good to go! If it's CA018087 and there is no mod installed, then you're out of luck.

http://console5.com/wiki/Atari_5200

I don't have any mods. But there must be a better way to tell. What exactly is it that makes 2 ports palyable?? Why did they design different?? Is it the same exact motherboard except 2 ports versus 4??

The 4 port system requires the special switchbox in order to even power up. Well, mine doesn't, but that's another thread. :ponder:. The 2 port models still need a way of hooking up to the TV, but they can use any manual switchbox or an adapter. The power is provided through the dedicated cable from the power anvil (it's an anvil, not just a brick), whereas the 4 port gets power fed to it from the special switch box through the RF line.

The 4 port system requires the special switchbox in order to even power up. Well, mine doesn't, but that's another thread. :ponder:. The 2 port models still need a way of hooking up to the TV, but they can use any manual switchbox or an adapter. The power is provided through the dedicated cable from the power anvil (it's an anvil, not just a brick), whereas the 4 port gets power fed to it from the special switch box through the RF line.

So what does have to do with the vcs adapter working or not? Its still powered and the vcs is using power from the 5200. So what does it matter if it is the box on the 4 port or straight to the wall?

So what does have to do with the vcs adapter working or not? Its still powered and the vcs is using power from the 5200. So what does it matter if it is the box on the 4 port or straight to the wall?

The BIOS is also different in the two systems, and there are a few other changes to the motherboard besides that and the power circuit. Power modding the 4 port system sinply means you don't need the switchbox. If you wanna use the 2600 adapter you have to do another mod. I never looked into it since I've got more 2600s than I know what to do with.

the reason the 2600 adapter wont work on my 5200 is that it was not considered when it was created but later on they realized they could just use a couple unused lines of the cartridge plug to pass through audio and video so that is what the mod did

so if you really want to go crazy you could make an adapter out of an old cart for anything with av out but that would just be using your 5200 as an rf modulator so it really gets quite silly

I don't doubt you, but why then do the early 5200's need to be modified?

Because the way it wound up being done was different then what was originally planned. Remember, all expansion was originally planned to be through the expansion port on the 4-port. You can read more about the evolution of the 2600 adapter here.

• 3 weeks later...

The way I would recommend, is to use a Atari 5200 4-port with as low a serial number that you can get.. I have two.

No mods.. Even though I want to do the power mod like crazy, I just dont.

And use an original Atari 2600. DOnt use the 2600-adapter. It just looks too weird for me.

Even though I have an adapter and cant use it, I may sell the thing on eBay one day.(but I

cant test it out).

Keep everything original.. THat's what I recommend.