IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Dusting off the old Aquarius ...

I've started a new thread specifically about BASIC programming on the Aquarius:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218355-aquarius-basic-programming-on-the-aquarius/

Thanks to Aquaman for posting the HTML version of the Aquarius Guide to Home Computing. It's a pretty good reference to the version of Microsoft BASIC built in to the Aquarius.

I got the text file opened not the other stuff but im guessing the other stuff is all in the txt file.

Try downloading the ZIP file again; it worked for me without any errors. To open the manual, unpack the ZIP archive to a folder, then double-click the "index.html" file inside the folder. It should open in your default Web browser.
  • Like 2

Brings back memories!, Regardless of the technical specification the manual was very well written. I remember after following the "poking around section" and well poking around in locations that weren't listed which revealed been able to fill the border with characters and have another row of characters ( -1 character that filled the border) to fill. Was this intentional in the design for scores etc?

Example of a statement to POKE A CHARACTER:

POKE 12328,65

This tells Aquarius to POKE the letter A into the Home Position on the TV screen. 65 is the Character Code number for the letter A. 12328 is the number on the Character RAM Matrix.

These numbers were simply plugged into a FORMULA. The FORMULA is the important thing to know, because you can look up the number for any character or any screen position on the lists.

For beginners now try POKE 12288,65 :)

It's a pity you don't have an original manual, but I am sure this version will do just fine!

Thank's very useful in that format!

Edited by barnieg
  • Like 2

I burned out today. It seems like the hard part is coming up with the formulas. I was studying the bomber game and I was trying to recreate the random landscape with out looking at the source code. I finally got it, but it took all day bc my formula was off a few times. but finally figured it out. :) but im done with day 3.

• Like 2

I burned out today. It seems like the hard part is coming up with the formulas. I was studying the bomber game and I was trying to recreate the random landscape with out looking at the source code. I finally got it, but it took all day bc my formula was off a few times. but finally figured it out. :) but im done with day 3.

After all the hard work, it always feels very rewarding when it finally works!
  • Like 1

After all the hard work, it always feels very rewarding when it finally works!

yeah its a great feeling. today i been working on getting the guy to move around the screen, up, down, left right. now im trying to come up with a formula for diagonal.

• Like 2

im starting to see similarities with other games as you code. That is with just say a left and right movement you in theory have a basic frame work for a race car game, throw in some obsticle and blow up if you touch the side of the road and you have a very basic version of pole position.

• Like 2

Here is a vid of day four, of studying Aquarius basic. Nothing fancy. I was working on having a object I whose movement I can control. up,down,left,right and diagonal. plus have one object move independently on its own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBsBS9jX84g&feature=youtu.be

• Like 3

The next thing I need to work out is how code for the collision. I can kind of see some sort of homemade worm whomper type of game possible. Once I get my books arrive I can see what else can be done. with aquarius basic :) but so far so good. I need to put down the aquarius for a bit and start playing mouse trap for revs competition. :)

• Like 2

Congratulations! Persistence pays when you're learning to program. It's a worthwhile exercise for anyone, and the nice thing about knowing BASIC is that it makes learning another language even easier.

Going through my collection today, I found several extra copies of the Aquarius Guide to Home Computing, the BASIC reference that came with the Aquarius. If anyone here needs a copy, just PM me with your address, and I'll send you one for the cost of postage (while supplies last, of course).

• Like 2

Congratulations! Persistence pays when you're learning to program. It's a worthwhile exercise for anyone, and the nice thing about knowing BASIC is that it makes learning another language even easier.

Going through my collection today, I found several extra copies of the Aquarius Guide to Home Computing, the BASIC reference that came with the Aquarius. If anyone here needs a copy, just PM me with your address, and I'll send you one for the cost of postage (while supplies last, of course).

I have both. Its a lot easier with the book in hand than the pdf, bc its easy to go back and forth.

• Like 1