IGNORED

3DS: Is Luigi's Mansion a system seller?

Algus

I didn't buy the 3DS because of it but I did get the game with the system only so I can get in on the promo Nintendo had. It's definitely not a budget title, in my opinion it's right up there are as a solid Nintendo release. Charming, fun, great 3D effects, puzzles and multiple mansions to explore. Creepy feeling when your in there looking around and I did a lot of it. There are tons of secrets to find and I would use the vacuum to suck up anything in the game (almost all objects can be vacuumed). Amazing.

The game is rather long and I read that multiplayer is a blast, something I haven't tried yet.

I would say definitely get this game if you liked the original Gamecube game.

It wasn't even a blip on my radar when I was deciding on whether to buy a 3ds. Now that I have a 3ds, it still isn't anything I'd be interested in. I never looked at the Mario franchise and said to myself, "I'd like to see Luigi pretend he's a Ghostbuster." Definitely not my thing.

• Like 1

I've had a 3DS for over a year and I still only have one game for it. I broke my cardinal rule of needing at least 5 worthwhile games before I bite on a system. I'd love to get Ocarina but I already own it twice (three times if I count both GameCube releases). I've owned Luigi's Mansion on GameCube for many years and only recently discovered it so I need to finish that one before I decide I want more. Overall I've been a little disappointed with Nintendo's decisions this gen. When it comes to luring new customers with old franchises they are doing a great job. It's keeping us older folk happy that's the problem. :P

Hmm...I did the same thing with my Vita to be honest. Grabbed Lumines Electronic Symphony (which is actually pretty great) but lost interest shortly thereafter. A couple titles I was anticipating have since come out but I'm a bit apathetic towards the entire gizmo now.

I guess I should look at the release list and see what all is out there. I think there's at least five games I'm interested in and there are a couple on the horizon I'd like to get as well. I haven't really been following Nintendo's releases to closely on the 3DS but I've always found their titles very solid

Just picked up Luigis mansion tonite. Will start playing it probably tomorrow.

All in all....I find the 3ds worth it. Fire Emblem, Super mario Land 3D, Paper Mario:Sticker Star, New Super mario 2, Kid Icarus, Monster Hunter 3 just to name a few. Im sure Luigis Mansion will be just as enjoyable as it was on the cube.

It was my motivating factor in picking up the 3ds. Then it got delayed, and delayed again. Finally two years later (have I really had the 3ds for two years already?) it finally got released and it has met my expectations, but you needn't buy a 3ds for LM2 only. There are other great games as well worth picking up.

Edited by GKC

The only thing I dislike about LM2 is the save system - have to complete a level to get a save. I've never been much of a Nintendo fan, but I am finding myself enjoying this and other titles (StarFox 3D, Ocarina of time, Harvest Moon-A New Beginning, Mario Kart) WITH the 3D effects. I only just recently got into this, getting the 3DSXL when Target had them on sale for 159. Picked up LM2 and the new Pokemon (which I haven't played yet) because of the 'get a free game deal' with purchase of each one of those games. Seemed like a good time to give this system a whirl and so far, I haven't regretted it (plus I can now share the experience with my 7 year old who has her own)

I loved Luigi's Mansion. My son and I played it together and we put a lot of hours on the Cube chasing those ghosts down. I would love to have LM2 but it has to be on a console, preferrably the Wii. I simply have never been interested in handhelds and I never will be.

I loved Luigi's Mansion. My son and I played it together and we put a lot of hours on the Cube chasing those ghosts down. I would love to have LM2 but it has to be on a console, preferrably the Wii. I simply have never been interested in handhelds and I never will be.

That's an awesome anecdote. I wish I could say I had a cool story like that, but the Cube was High School for me and all my friends were going through the "Nintendo is for kids, lets play Halo" phase back then. I do like handhelds but I definitely prefer console. If this was on the Wii U, I would probably be saving for one right now.

This topic is definitely swaying me towards finally grabbing a 3DS Fortunately for my pocket book, Wally World is out of stock of Luigi's Mansion right now and I like getting my employee discount when I buy electronics. Think I'll dump some extra cash into savings and wait until I can get it.

Haven't played Luigi's Mansion but I've heard it's great. I don't play the 3DS often but what I have played has been enjoyable: Starfox, Resident Evil Revelations, the Mario titles, and the new Castlevania is pretty awesome. I hope to pick up Monster Hunter sometime soon and the Symphony of the Night-style Batman game in the fall sounds pretty sweet.

There's enough games out that I would be interested in to consider it a worthy purchase if I didn't have one already.

I'm curious what sales figures are like for it. It's been reviewed pretty well, but I can't say I've heard much "buzz" about the game.

Personally? I think making this the "year of Luigi" on a year where you REALLY need sales for the Wii U and need to keep recent momentum for the 3DS going, is a really poor move.

I love Iwata and all of them, but sometimes I wish they just brought in fresh management with fresh ideas to better steer the company.

It's easy and dopey. I'd say Fire Emblem is more of a system seller with the current state of things.

The thing has has system sellers for awhile now, though. You have Kid Icarus, Metal Gear, Star Fox, Code of Princess, and a few other decent games that make it worth grabbing on by now.