IGNORED

eagle air wire tool

grips03

I drew schematic using nets and labels. I then create board. There is a tool for shortest air wire. Is the idea to move componets around manually in order to see the shortest distance?

We be neat if it could auto place components that I don't really care about there placement.

There is a tool for shortest air wire.

Are you trying to ask if there is such a tool? Cuz this sentence literally means you're telling us there is one.

I try not to concern myself with the airwires too much, I just place stuff where it has to go first if there are any components like that i.e. LEDs that have to sit at the edge in a certain spot, then as close to schema as I can since that's usually the shortest wire.

One of the reasons I kinda wanted to try diptrace is that it places component to the board in the same way they are on the schema, very cool, but since I already know eagle and it does what I need it to do I haven't bothered to move over.

Ki-cad has a auto place feature, its much like autorouting, slow, somewhat unpredictable, and you usually have to go back and change most of it.

Though it is handy when laying out things on perfboard, cause you can put your grid spacing at .1 and say go at it as it flips n rotates ... even then you got to fiddle with it as it does not seem that intellegent ... ie if you feel that a large dip part would be better going tall than wide you got to do it yourself

I played with the calculate shortest airwire tool and it works pretty well. It allowed me to better use the auto router by placing components with common nets near each other. After you moved the parts you just pressed 'calculate shortest airwires' to see how everything looks before auto routing. Eagle is really starting to grow on me.

• 3 weeks later...

impedance matching

and what is that, Altium, hope so, that's what I use ... thank you work.

any time I use auto-route I end up spending more time making it right than it would be to just do it myself

Edited by Osgeld