IGNORED

Mr. Do!'s Castle question

davidcalgary29

When I was unpacking a lot of 8-bit stuff that I recently won in an eBay auction, I found a copy of "Mr. Do!'s Castle" for the 8-bits on cartridge. I haven't been able to find any info about this title either on cartridge release lists or on general websites anywhere. Does anyone know anything about this title?

Well unless it's a prototype then it's a reproduction cart. Mr. Do's Castle was never released for the Atari 400/800. A prototype will have no label and only a small price tag looking sticker on it. A reproduction will have a regular looking PB label.

Tempest

Some list it in their collections:

http://members.shaw.ca/pcollard/atari400.htm

I wrote this guy once to see if he knows anything about it and got no reply. There was another collection that also listed a Mr Do's, but the link is dead now. Both collectors were in Canada. Obviously you are also north of the border. Was the seller also Canadian?

There was another collection that also listed a Mr Do's, but the link is dead now. Both collectors were in Canada. Obviously you are also north of the border. Was the seller also Canadian?  

Yes, the seller was Canadian. He lives about 8 hours away from me.

A prototype will have no label and only a small price tag looking sticker on it. A reproduction will have a regular looking PB label.  

There's a small 1" x 1 1/2" sticker on the front of the cart in black and white. It simply states the game's title (in what looks to be the game's standard graphic font; the name is not hand- or type- written) but there is no other information on it. The sticker is quite old and dirty.

The cartridge itself is a standard PB case.

THE GAME:

"Mr. Do!'s Castle" is fully playable, but the graphics are coarse and the game only appears to take up 1/2 of a standard 8-bit screen.

I'll try to scan a picture of it tomorrow and see what you guys think.

Callipygous, You too list it in your collection. ;)

In fact I once emailed you about it and you sent a link to your site which sounds like this one david has found. I'm stealing your image, and reducing the file size to add to this thread, hope you don't mind. :P

mrdocastle.jpg

I find it intriguing that several people have this cart, and if they all have the same label, someone, somewhere *must* know more about them. Maybe they were bootlegs from back in the day, mail order or something?

Is it on a eprom?

Callipygous, You too list it in your collection. ;)  

In fact I once emailed you about it and you sent a link to your site which sounds like this one david has found. I'm stealing your image, and reducing the file size to add to this thread, hope you don't mind.  :P  

mrdocastle.jpg

I find it intriguing that several people have this cart, and if they all have the same label, someone, somewhere *must* know more about them. Maybe they were bootlegs from back in the day, mail order or something?  

Is it on a eprom?

Yes, as I told Callipygous, that's an exact copy of the cart that I have.

If this is a PAL release, I can't say that I have had any problems running this on my NTSC system.

I don't mind and in fact encourage a discussion. We actually had thread here a long way back. Maybe some others on AA have this cart. At first, I had no idea what this cart might be, but they seem to show up a couple a times a year. All of them I have seen are from Canada. So, for now, I am leaning toward a limited Canadian release. As far as eprom, I am not sure how to open a Parker cart without busting it. And hey, this cart maybe worth $$$ :?

• 1 year later...

I'll do pages 2 and 3 so that you can see that it is the cartridge version. It is 12 pages: 6 in French and 6 in English. The kind of booklet that you just flip over vertically to get to the other language. It is 1984 copyright. Unfortunately, there is no PB catalog number anywhere that I can see.

post-545-1084561857_thumb.jpg

The languages are equal. One printed upside down relative to the other, so either can face the front. The only other information to be gleaned is on the warranty page. The address given for returns is 7883 Keele Street, Concord , Ontario. Therefore, I feel comfortable saying that this was indeed a limited release from PB in Ontario.

The languages are equal. One printed upside down relative to the other, so either can face the front. The only other information to be gleaned is on the warranty page. The address given for returns is 7883 Keele Street, Concord , Ontario. Therefore, I feel comfortable saying that this was indeed a limited release from PB in Ontario.

I stand corrected. :) I'd love to see actual distribution patterns for this cart, as I haven't heard of any legitimately originating outside of Ontario or Quebec.

• 2 weeks later...