IGNORED

Spectre GCR

The system disks are available on line from places like Mac Garden, or I think Apple's ftp (not sure if they are still there). Getting them onto the ST is a pain due to the old Mac's whacky disk format. You can slowly transfer them over using some of the utils in the Spectre package, file by file. I initially did this but it was such a pain and took the best part of a day. Personally I'd either find someone with an old Mac who copy the disks for you, or buy one of the unpopular crappy Macs with a disk drive and a CD rom, such as a Performa, for cheap off Ebay (other retailers are available) and use that to write the disks. Transfer your system disk files to the old mac using the CD rom, then write the images to floppy. My experiments with Spectre caused me to buy a whole lot of old Macs. The original and plus are fairly useless as unless they have the system disks themselves they are essentially dead in the water. The Classic and onwards (i.e. most of the computers with hard disks) to the early power pc years should be ok. Anything Imac or later is a no go as the floppy drive was no longer used.

So if you can get files off apple.com, would you let me know, because ANY link that referrs to info.downloads.apple.com is dead now. Apple it seems pretty much took all their software archives offline, but I guess that means it's OK to host old OS files online now (they used to send DCMAs, but now...)

I have a NEW G3 powerpc that I was debating just finding a way to install a floppy drive that's mac compatible. I really don't want to expand my MAC collection more than I have too. I wonder what OS my G3 is running, I bet it's 7, but who knows.

I love having a father-in-law that buys powermacs for his music work. I get these killer tricked out systems every 3-4 years. Fucking rocks!

Edited by Android8675

I was never able to transfer the system disks from the ST->Mac using the tools provided by the Spectre software. The System/Finder resource forks wouldnt go across correctly.

The only way to get the latest version (I think 6.0.8) if for someone with a Classic Mac and 800K disc to make them for you. Then you can read them with the GCR/Happy Module on the Spectre 128 side.

So if you can get files off apple.com, would you let me know, because ANY link that referrs to info.downloads.apple.com is dead now. Apple it seems pretty much took all their software archives offline, but I guess that means it's OK to host old OS files online now (they used to send DCMAs, but now...)

I have a NEW G3 powerpc that I was debating just finding a way to install a floppy drive that's mac compatible. I really don't want to expand my MAC collection more than I have too. I wonder what OS my G3 is running, I bet it's 7, but who knows.

I love having a father-in-law that buys powermacs for his music work. I get these killer tricked out systems every 3-4 years. Fucking rocks!

Yep looks like they've gone (well done Apple), Several flavours of System 6 is still available on Mac garden though.. Confusingly it's under 'M'

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/m?page=3

Mac garden has been up for years so presumably Apple are ok with it to a certain extent. They are pretty careful that no OS X stuff gets on there.

Edited by Zogging Hell

Don't know if it just me or does that second link seem to go through to home improvement.com? There seems to be a double http://https://thing going on.

This seems to work

https://winworldpc.com/product/mac-os-0-6/system-6x