IGNORED

What do you think about Galaga 7800?

Mister-VCS

When it comes to Galaga 3 (Gaplus) and Galaga '88, I like the looks and graphical changes, but dislike how Namco messed up the firing timing by introducing balloon-type bursts that took extra time. I was an arcade expert on Galaga and could rack up into the millions on scores by slapping the springy fire buttons. After a while, it became 2nd nature to be able to wipe out entire screens of insects by slapping that button at the correct rhythm. Gaplus and Galaga '88 do not allow that fire-button slapping due to the balloon bursting and fireworks.

Either of these accurately ported to 7800 would be gladly accepted though.

• 2 months later...

I turned my nose up at 7800 Galaga in earlier years, because the NES version (while certainly lacking colors and whatever else) seems closer to the arcade. I then went back and played 7800 version and it's *DIFFERENT* but it's not so bad! I really like playing the same game on MULTIPLE systems and appreciating the differences. However, I'll bet the 7800 could have come closer to the arcade than that version.

• Like 1

Hi, everyone. Any chance any of you are running Galaga for the 7800 on a Mac? I've been trying to get the MESS emulator working on my iMac for a few hours now, but so far no luck. I've Googled the topic to death but no site seems to provide much help on getting it to work. Is there an easier-to-set-up 7800 emulator out there? Or should I go for the NES version of the game and get an NES emulator?

Edited by Rafagon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone. Any chance any of you are running Galaga for the 7800 on a Mac? I've been trying to get the MESS emulator working on my iMac for a few hours now, but so far no luck. I've Googled the topic to death but no site seems to provide much help on getting it to work. Is there an easier-to-set-up 7800 emulator out there? Or should I go for the NES version of the game and get an NES emulator?

Or you can get MacMame and download the arcade rom. In the end, the arcade version is always the best... IMO. :)

I think people what actually find this knowledge useful. How the heck I'm going to test these with without going to my cousins' house. I'm surprised that's a lack of interest from Mac users. WINE does have uses beyond this and I can use to play a lot of PC games. The best part is it's free.

Why would I want to use MacMAME? It's been dead for several years and I've moved on to MAME OSX and then to SDLMAME.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the 7800 version of Galaga, and prefer it to the NES version.

Agreed. Dislike a lot of the NES ports [Gauntlet and Double Dragon especially!]. I'm still cheesed off that the Xbox Live edition of Gyruss, which was billed as being the arcade version is in fact, the NES port. Eff the NES!

Edited by Lynxpro

Agreed. Dislike a lot of the NES ports [Gauntlet and Double Dragon especially!]. I'm still cheesed off that the Xbox Live edition of Gyruss, which was billed as being the arcade version is in fact, the NES port. Eff the NES!

Whilst the NES was the biggest joke in the world technically, and Mario and Zelda games make me ill, it did have a nice version of DK and Galaxian. Although an £8.99 copy of Donkey Kong on tape for Amstrad CPC/C64 looked/sounded great and more importantly played much better thanks to the ability to use a humble competition Pro/Zipstick joystick as god intended :)

I think it is an OK game, the 7800 joypads I am forced to use are more of an issue for me though than any differences between the arcade original and the 7800 port.

Galaga in 7800 version is a bit slower than NES and Arcade versions. And very, very slow in Novice Variation.

But the Expert Variation is more and more exciting.

You are invited to watch my gameplay video which I made for 7800 HSC, Season 6 - 7800 Galaga Expert Game.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1