IGNORED

Looking to get a new solder station

Wickeycolumbus

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new soldering station and figured some of you may be able to recommend a brand or model. We have Hakko 936 stations at school, and I like those a lot. My only issue with getting one is that they were discontinued and I'd have to get a used one. I'm looking for a thin detachable pencil and a wide variety of low cost tips. Surface mount attachments would be nice. Is it realistic to get something nice for under $150?

eBay also shows many new Hakko (probably all clones) with variety of features from plain one temp iron to multi-temp with analog or digital display, and even a rework station with hot air blower and soldering iron set.

Wellers is another good brand to look at. I used them in school over a decade ago

FWIW I'm still using a $20 Radio Shack junk. In the long run I average maybe 10 hours per month on soldering iron (plus maybe 2 hours a month with Radio Shack desoldering tool), I'd need to do a lot more to justify spending $80+ on a quality set.

hakko, tons of tips, and reasonably priced, even brand new, and a million knock-offs

have not been impressed with weller in a while, they have seriously nice stations... for serious applications like millitary and industry but seriously, 60 bucks for a wood burner on a lamp dimmer?

http://www.jameco.co...10001_146595_-1

I personally have an XYTronic, and its a great soldering tool, and I gave like 45 bucks for it, BUT since place I bought it from seems to have gone under the only place I have found tips for it is jameco, and I frankly dont like jameco cause of past issues with UPS only shipping, or minimum order dollar amounts or face a fee crap... they dont do this now, but the only thing I have ordered from them in 3 years was a couple new tips and a brass sponge

Edited by Osgeld

The FX-888 is essentially a re-design of the old standby Hakko 936 model, a soldering iron that's ..... The FX-888 uses T18 tips, where the 936 uses 900M tips.

seems that's a no, but you can find just about any style tip in the appropriate size (from hakko)

Edited by Osgeld

seems that's a no, but you can find just about any style tip in the appropriate size (from hakko)

I did some looking because I have used old and new Hakko tips and never noticed. Mine is apparently compatible with the older 900M series tips. Looks like T18 is the "new" series of tips. And looking at tips I've bought over the years, I have both kinds and both work and fit on my iron. If there are any differences, I don't know what they are, and it's never seemed to matter.

I buy tips from Fry's and they have a wide selection for just a few dollars each.

While at Fry's once, I considered buying a real Hakko. I had it in my cart, even, then thought of my clone that has worked flawlessly for years and for literally thousands of boards. That was when I put the Hakko back on the shelf. There are actually good clones out there, believe it on not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...