IGNORED

found an Apple II Plus at work, has issues

its ok it can be fixed (a wire might be able to be soldered on, or a replacement rom to be found or a simple adapter to use a generic rom can be cobbled up)

I would be more than willing to take a crack at it, but its going to be a unforseen number of weeks before I get my plate clear

Edited by Osgeld

well if someone else doesnt get to it first, Im wrapping up 2 projects currently, then I was going to start on a ps/2 mouse adapter for apple II's but something is funky on my //c's mouse-joystick combo port, but that would be a good time to slip a repair in.

no the //c is a whole different bear, its all intergrated in a compact motherboard, and it uses newer cmos parts

actually the IIc is a good entry point if you want to grab a box plug it in and take off running, there's just no expansion slots

Edited by Osgeld

As far as the graphic user interface goes, you really don't need one on an Apple II. The IIc or e would be your best bet to run one on if you wanted to (i.e. Mouse Desk, Apple Desktop II, Quark Catalyst, GEOS) but all Apple II software is self booting anyway so there's no need for the extra step of using a GUI to launch it. GEOS software did need the GEOS desktop to run programs but GEOS never caught on with the Apple II like it did the Commodore 64.

In 1981 I worked in a computer store that sold Ataris, Exidys, and Vector Graphics. The boss was testing a customer's Exidy S-100 box and I suggested he try a Vector Graphics S-100 card in there so he did. Poof! Smoke! What I did not know and he forgot was that there were differences in power pins between the brands. It toasted the Exidy motherboard and he bought the customer a new one. Oops.

He gave me the bad board and as a learning project I eventually replaced every chip and got it working. Moral: Keep trying and keep plearning.

• Like 1

good thing is that it does not sound like anything major is damaged, and its a good lesson for all of us ... even if it seems obious to you, its not

I should have stated to put them back in the same orientation, its obious to anyone who deals with electronics in any level, but BOOM here we go cause its not obious to someone who doesnt mess with electronics, and thats my bad.

• Like 1

Claus: Not insensative at all! I understand and I had to chuckle a bit.

Osgeld: Not your fault at all, even one percent. It is normal to assume that a person opening up a machine has at least rudimentary technical knowledge (I do not).

Keatah can get it up and running, most likely. The killer will be shipping, of course. And you know what? I probably won't even end up doing much with it, it's just that I feel like it's a link to the past which should be preserved.

get that IIc (or use applewin, its 99% dead on) and sell the plus for shipping and whatever you have into it to an apple nut, just a suggestion

IMO you will happier with the C (or emulation) if you wanna play with them and the machine doesnt goto waste

heck IF it was a //e I would have traded you outright for my working //c day one

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

128k ram, disk drive controller, 80 column text, high res and double high res graphics, joystick port, mouse port, printer port, serial port, disk drive, all built in to a laptop style form factor

http://oldcomputers.net/appleiic.html

whats bad about the C is no expansion slots, so your not going to add in sound cards, video cards or homebrew hardware

Edited by Osgeld

128k ram, disk drive controller, 80 column text, high res and double high res graphics, joystick port, mouse port, printer port, serial port, disk drive, all built in to a laptop style form factor

http://oldcomputers.net/appleiic.html

whats bad about the C is no expansion slots, so your not going to add in sound cards, video cards or homebrew hardware

About the only cards a person would want beyond the IIc's built in features are a Compact Flash interface and a Mockingboard.

About the only cards a person would want beyond the IIc's built in features are a Compact Flash interface and a Mockingboard.

Or an Ethernet card. Slots really don't become important until you get into the IIgs.

Graphic OS on the C? Or do I really have to get into the E for practical purposes?

yea but have a couple disk drives handy or be prepared to flip them out, again a GUI on II is mostly pointless as everything came self contained as bootable disks (unless you have a hard disk, very rare and not super useful on II series, and except for 1 mysterious model none came out for IIc)

IIc is a enhanced IIe in a compact case

IIc+ is the same with memory expansion and a 4Mhz zip chip, downside is it has a 3.5 inch disk installed, not much software came on 3.5 inch and its not something you can just copy from a pc drive (though you can with a old mac)

Edited by Osgeld

Graphic OS on the C? Or do I really have to get into the E for practical purposes?

The only graphical OS I know of for the apple II series is GEOS which requires a IIe or IIc. If you want a nice GUI you need to get a IIgs.

For all intents and purposes, the IIc and IIe are identical except one has built in cards and no slots, while the other has no built in cards but has slots.

Thanks for all of the helpful information, guys. Currently in my work building (and up for sale) there is a IIC, and a Mac LC II which I have experience with from my jr high days. I would love to get a II GS, and I have used them before. I am curious as to how much a II GS costs, though, if anyone knows.

Frankly I am interested in the classic graphic OS for nostalgic reasons.

off topic If you want a LC II I have one I would love to ditch on a sucker enthusiast (its actually a performa 430, but same computer, 10 megs maxed out ram no monitor, kb or mouse, free + shipping)

only good thing about it is it will work with an apple II card, basicly giving you a 68k mac and an 8 bit apple II in the same box

Edited by Osgeld

Thanks for all of the helpful information, guys. Currently in my work building (and up for sale) there is a IIC, and a Mac LC II which I have experience with from my jr high days. I would love to get a II GS, and I have used them before. I am curious as to how much a II GS costs, though, if anyone knows.

Frankly I am interested in the classic graphic OS for nostalgic reasons.

You can find them on eBay as low as $50, of course that's just the computer itself, you'll also need to get a monitor, disk drive (5.25 and 3.5), keyboard and mouse. To make it perfect you'd need to get one of these: http://dreher.net/?s=projects/CFforAppleII&c=projects/CFforAppleII/main.php