IGNORED

About file types...

RobertLM78

Unless im mistaken, Classic99 does not emulate the rs232 at all.

PC99 is your best bet... But it'll cost ya.

Beyond that, I believe you can hop onto the Hidden Reef on your TI, assuming you have a modem, and download it there straight to disk. Im on the BBSes every day. :) Great resources, especially The Hidden Reef, run by SysOp Richard Bell.

The most active BBS these days is heatwave, run by Mad Hatter and InsaneMultitasker. Great BBS, run on a Geneve.

That BBS sounds like fun, but unfortunately I don't have a modem :( (one piece of hardware I never acquired). I guess I'll have to try out PC99 (curious as to how it'll cost me :lol:). Wish me luck!

Edit: I see what you mean about cost - I thought all the emulators were freeware. Too bad...

That's good to know about Classic99... I seem to remember reading that now, actually (it has been a while since I downloaded and read the readme).

It's good to know there are options out there, with pretty minimal gear needed to make it happen. Thanks again for all the feedback fellas - I've learned a lot :D.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there fellow 99ers. I'm finally ready to go with some file transfers (at least in one direction ;-) it turns out I am S.O.L. in Windows as the driver for the USB to serial cable refuses to work, so I can't even open a COM port). I'm a bit confused about what needs to be done with the TIFILES header though. I know with TI99dir it is, of course, possible to open disks (in this situation a folder containing .TIDISK files) and extract files from them, but I have no idea if they need to be marked within TI99dir first. I also know that MagicFM can put a header on the file. So, what is the process generally speaking - a TIFILES header for TI to PC or TIFILES header for PC to TI (read that carefully :)).

Anyway, it's time for some further schooling in this header and file type department, and I know there is a lot of bright people on the forum here :D.

Edit: BTW, TI99dir works great in WINE ;) (for Michael mostly, but also for anyone that else that runs Linux with the WINE compatibility layer).

Edited by RobertLM78

Robert is already a member. :)

Aye, indeed :). I guess I'll have to give that a shot - I'm still not sure how to download anything, but I'm certain I can get TerraTerm to work for me in Windows for getting on Heatwave :). I was really wanting to just run with some of the stuff I already have downloaded, but as I said, I'm a bit confused about the headers. I'm trying to send a PROGRAM file to the TI but it keeps coming in as DIS/FIX 128 :(.

I know with TI99dir it is, of course, possible to open disks (in this situation a folder containing .TIDISK files) and extract files from them, but I have no idea if they need to be marked within TI99dir first. I also know that MagicFM can put a header on the file. So, what is the process generally speaking - a TIFILES header for TI to PC or TIFILES header for PC to TI (read that carefully :)).

In general, you as a user don't do anything. The process is automatic.

But, in today's day and age we have made things more complicated. :)

If you are sending and receiving files from your actual TI (or running a terminal program inside an emulated TI), forget about the header. It's not your problem and it is handled already.

If you are extracting files from a disk image using TI99Dir to your PC, and then plan to use the PC to transfer those files /to/ a BBS, then you have to make sure they have a TIFILES header. Do this inside TI99Dir by looking at the file in the listing -- it will either be TIFILES or V9T9. The rightmost column in the list, titled "Attr", will include either "tifiles" or "v9t9". (It may also say 'classic99', which is not a format I created but the result of an old bug in my emulator that incorrectly reversed the word order of a field, requests to have it removed have been ignored so I guess it's there forever.)

If it says 'v9t9' (and I believe TI99Dir defaults to V9T9 format when you extract), then convert it by ensuring it is highlighted, and selecting Tools->Convert V9T9 File to TIFILES file. It will ask if you are sure, then click Convert and it will be done.

If you are downloading files /from/ the BBS, don't worry about the header. You can just import it right back to your disk image and be done.

Aye, indeed :). I guess I'll have to give that a shot - I'm still not sure how to download anything, but I'm certain I can get TerraTerm to work for me in Windows for getting on Heatwave :). I was really wanting to just run with some of the stuff I already have downloaded, but as I said, I'm a bit confused about the headers. I'm trying to send a PROGRAM file to the TI but it keeps coming in as DIS/FIX 128 :(.

DIS/FIX128 means that there was no recognized header on the file. When there is no header, the XMODEM routines store the data as DIS/FIX128, assuming that it's a PC file and not a TI File.

Best bet is to ask the person who uploaded it to re-upload. If that isn't possible, we can make a header for it and make it work.

Edited by Tursi

Okay - a bit of a learning curve there - success!!!! Yaayyy! (I had to play around with TI99dir to figure it out, but I got the file converted). Now if I could find a terminal program that's worth anything for Linux. At the moment I'm using 'cutecom', but it is only capable of sending, not receiving (kind of dumb, I know :mad: ).

Owen - TerraTerm won't work for me for doing transfers, but it will probably work for 'surfing' the BBS - I'll just have to configure it :). PuTTY, it turns out, I don't think is capable of doing X-modem transfers, but interestingly, works for every other aspect of using Heatwave...

Edited by RobertLM78

I'll make a video of how to do file transfers using terraterm and heatwavebbs via port 23 (Telnet)...

I don't have moviemaker anymore, so it'll be pretty bland.

That would be awesome - I'm a total novice when it comes to this stuff (hell when it comes to most of this stuff LOL).

8)

Edited by RobertLM78

Tursi, I had to double check, for my own peace of mind, that the transfer worked (even though I was confident it was fine, given the listed file type was correct ;)), which it did beautifully - thank you very very much for your help man!! :D Your advice was the final piece of the puzzle I was missing (Owen: you're next video on file transferring should include working with TI99dir to get the files converted to the correct type with the right header and all - your tutorial was excellent, but missing this important detail ;)). Thanks again Tursi for the spot on advice :).

Video made. Will upload at work in the morning. My free tethered internet is great for price, but try uploading a 350Meg video using 3g on a crap phone connection. :)

Nice - I'll be on the lookout.

I was am about to transfer Senior Falcon's XB compiler, but I noticed that peripheral access is not supported :(. (I was going to try to compile something I wrote that uses DSK access, but since that's not supported I'll have to wait until I have a worth while project to compile .... and I've thought of two TITREK and Market Simulation - both of those are painfully slow :D)

Edited by RobertLM78

As for TIImageTool there is going to be a major new release in short term, maybe in two weeks or so, including the GPL disassembler, picture viewer, and the DIS/FIX 80 disassembler, which attempts to create code that can be assembled again. The D/F disassembler still needs some polishing.

• Like 2