IGNORED

Upgrading 7800 for composite video?

Master Phruby

I was so disappointed in the RF that I recommend any upgrade!

For free I found parts in my scrap, which consists of a Transister and 2 or 3 resistors for composite RCA Yellow, and mono through RCA Left Right cable. I just cut a RCA Yellow, Red, White cable (male or female) and have it coming out the bottom.

I also ordered the board from Electronicsentimentalities and use S-Video with that in my better 7800. Even S-Video is not 100% interference free in the 7800 board, so I recommend trying the cheap/free mod first, and if you don't like it and if you have the skills to desolder a non-socketed chip, solder in a socket, and solder the wires from and A/V board upgrade to the motherboard and the A/V jacks installed thru drilling 3 holes in the case, do that.

Is it worth getting the TI9 switch?

I have it although had not needed to use it unless I was going through a multiple composite switch hub setup prior to the display.

Additionally, the only 7800 specific conflict I found with having it turned on is with the game B*nQ. Otherwise all other titles (I have the entire original 7800 NTSC library and most homebrews) work without issue, and it does indeed cleanup any video interference if/when experienced.

I would definitely spring for it. Every display/setup/video feed may react differently to the TIA video interference. You'll regret not having it if you end up having a setup that has faint wavy/diagonal red lines or other video issues that could have been easily solved with the flip of a switch ;)

• 4 months later...

Just got my 7800 back from LittleJoe over at http://www.electroni...onServices.html and the 7800's picture is amazing! This sucker even has stereo output. I played a game of Pac-Man 4K and I could hear the alarm in one speaker and the waka-waka in the other. LittleJoe did a fantastic and quick job modifying the system.

• Like 1

I can tell you that composite is allright depending on the TV, I also simplified the mod:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/127926-easier-7800-composite-video-mod/?p=2814181

[the signal does look soft, but it's composite and not SVideo so it is kind of expected]

It is literally 1 Transistor (2222 or 3904 are both fine), 1 Resistor for the video [100 Ohm] and nothing else, still need to remove R3 and R5 and still need to perform the audio mix (I used a 10K and it worked).

I recently tried Ballblazer and the Pokey volume seems fine to me, only Commando has both [Pokey + TIA] so I am not sure if 10K works for that game and given its cost I am not sure when/if I will ever try.