IGNORED

Proline Joystick guts for custom arcade stick...?

Hi,

Forgive me if this has already been discussed in other threads, but I couldn't find anything after searching...

Has anyone successfully used a 7800 proline controller guts to make a custom arcade stick using arcade quality cherry switch buttons and joysticks? My main concern is if it will work by simply tapping right into the wires without disconnecting them from the board/resisters. I wasn't even planning to solder anything but just crimp the new joystick harness to the apprpriate wires on the proline guts, and daisy chain any grounds if applicable. What do you guys think?

Edited by 7800

I agree and would love to use new wiring and make a new layout by replicating the circuitry, However I have zero skill with soldering and working with components like resisters, diodes and boards. But theoretically, would it work if I just "tapped" into the existing wiring using crimp connectors?

Edited by 7800

ok, so I successfully did this! I took some new cherry switch arcade buttons and attached them to the 7800 buttons by splicing into the yellow, red, and orange wires. Then I attached the new arcade joystick harness wires to the corresponding 7800 up, down, left, right wires along with the ground. Pretty easy! All I need to do now is build a box/cabinet for the hardware. :)

I'd wire in the reset/pause buttons as well that are on the console.

Woa... Now that would be cool, but definitly beyond my skill level. Thanks, I'll do a search for blank stick cases. I was actually going to take another 7800 console, gut it and drill some holes and make it into a stick... but I'd have to find a unit for cheap and in good shape. The tough part is finding one with a clean, undented, unscratched metal trim. :)

I was actually going to take another 7800 console, gut it and drill some holes and make it into a stick... but I'd have to find a unit for cheap and in good shape. The tough part is finding one with a clean, undented, unscratched metal trim. :)

The 7800 case plastic is very flimsy, and is probably too weak to support a joystick and action buttons. You might consider retrofitting an existing joystick mechanism instead, the way some of us did a few years ago with the Radica Space Invaders TV game unit. I still use my RSI joysticks as my primary 7800 controllers.

If you can trace the contacts and connect the right wires to the right places, it really isn't that much of a leap to solder them, and the 7800 joystick design is easy to replicate. If you don't presently know how, perhaps this is a good opportunity to learn. Soldering skill is a handy thing to have when working with 30-year-old consoles and computers, since eventually, you'll probably have to perform maintenance on them.

Woa... Now that would be cool, but definitly beyond my skill level. Thanks, I'll do a search for blank stick cases. I was actually going to take another 7800 console, gut it and drill some holes and make it into a stick... but I'd have to find a unit for cheap and in good shape. The tough part is finding one with a clean, undented, unscratched metal trim. :)

I do believe that the 7800 consoles are very brittle and would probably break without much effort .

Yup, I went over to my 7800 console and just kinda pushed down on the top of it... YIKES! I though It was going to crack. :) You guys weren't kidding, real flimsy!

Since this is my first stick mod, I decided to go the quick and easy route this time around. I went to a hobby and crafts store and bought a decorative box. Brought it home and turned it into this...

IMG_2322_zpsf497e0e6.jpg

• Like 1

Since this is my first stick mod, I decided to go the quick and easy route this time around. I went to a hobby and crafts store and bought a decorative box. Brought it home and turned it into this...

This looks very nice. Good work.

I was about to suggest something similar. I am also about to start trying to build my own controls for my 2600, and just ordered some wooden boxes off Amazon last night.

My ideas of the different types of controls I would like to build for my 2600 are somewhat ambitious, but I really don't know what I am doing, yet, so I am going to try to start as modestly as I can.

If you're going that far, I'd wire in the reset/pause buttons as well that are on the console.

The payoff is cool but it's a little on the difficult side; especially because you have to use a different connector wired in if you want to keep paddle (and keypad) functionality: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/193722-a-different-kind-of-controller/page__hl__+stormtrooper%20+7800

I'm not sure I would do that again.