IGNORED

Noob 7800 questions

CoLethalVision

Hi 7800 fans,

I'd like to pick your brains about the 7800 as its a system I don't know great deal about but looks like something I could be tempted to get into.

First question.

I've noticed there are 2 different version of the console. There is this one:

Atari_7800_pro_system.jpg

I believe its called a pro system from writing on it?

Also there is this type:

Atari7800.jpg

Is there a difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

I'm currently looking at this one on ebay:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2F140995261788%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1423.l2649

Is this a good price? Any reason not to buy this one?

I know about the US versions only coming with the joystick and Euro spec ones coming with the D pad. Either way the controllers are a non issue.

I've also got my eye on the new expansion module. Should it ever be released will it be compatible with a PAL version, or will I need an NTSC version?

That should do for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thanks in advance.

The one with the thick rainbow is the PAL version, used overseas I believe. The one on top is the NTSC version, used in the US. The control pad for the PAL version will work with the NTSC version though.

I've also got my eye on the new expansion module. Should it ever be released will it be compatible with a PAL version, or will I need an NTSC version?

The XM module will be released and automatically detect PAL and NTSC games, making it compatible with both regions.

Lack of a PSU is an annoyance. If my memory of Aussie exchange rates holds then price is decent, especially if you can win it via the auction. I've used both the Euro pad and the US stick and the Euro pad blows the stick out of the water. It isn't even close. I mainly play 2600 on mine (partly thanks to Harmony cart) but its really nice having the option of playing the 7800 games. The good ones are mainly just updates of great 2600 games but I think anyone still playing these titles in 2013 is going to appreciate those games more now than they might have when the 7800 was new.

I've used both the Euro pad and the US stick and the Euro pad blows the stick out of the water. It isn't even close.

HIGHLY recommend the Yurkie modified 7800 sticks...http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198160-ball-knob-mod-for-7800-proline-controllers-15-may-2013/

Makes a huge difference and you have that arcade stick/ball knob feeling and control.

The 32-in-1 cart is a nice find on it's own.

7800S are pretty robust internally IMO, so it has a good chance of being in working order. You could easily rig up a psu to replace the missing one if you can hold the right end of a soldering iron.

I would go for it if I were you.

I've got the "Euro" Pads and the US 7800 and I'm pretty happy with the combination. The only real issue you're more likely to run into is that the signal seems to have translation issues when going to some modern TVs. A usual 'fix' is to route your 7800 through a VCR first, which seems to clean up most of the issues. This is, of course, assuming you can even find a VCR.

Yes, but only in single button mode. Atari used a very different way to work thinks.

Sticks can be adapted using 2 resistors, but then they will be incompatible with the original system

• Like 1