IGNORED

Power Supply Stuff

wongojack

I got a 7800 this weekend that came with a power supply, but it has a major rattle and only seems to work like half the time. Its weird; sometimes I measure the volts and its putting out 11 or 13 and sometimes its nothing. I can't figure out when its going to work and when its not. I thought about the contacts and cleaned those up and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I've found some options online to get one including Atariguide, so I may go that route, but because I have the connector, It seems a shame not to put it with a working unit.

So I'm scavenging through my PSUs to find a 9v 1A supply and of course I don't have one. I've got some that can be manually switched, but they are only rated at 300mA, so I'm guess that won't do. I have a couple other choices. two are 12v 750ma and one is 12v 1A. These measure between 15v and 16.5v on a meter.

Do I need to worry about the amperage here? Will 750mA get the job done? Can I push 16 or 17v at the 7800 and not destroy the regulators and capacitors?

I got a 7800 this weekend that came with a power supply, but it has a major rattle and only seems to work like half the time. Its weird; sometimes I measure the volts and its putting out 11 or 13 and sometimes its nothing. I can't figure out when its going to work and when its not. I thought about the contacts and cleaned those up and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I've found some options online to get one including Atariguide, so I may go that route, but because I have the connector, It seems a shame not to put it with a working unit.

So I'm scavenging through my PSUs to find a 9v 1A supply and of course I don't have one. I've got some that can be manually switched, but they are only rated at 300mA, so I'm guess that won't do. I have a couple other choices. two are 12v 750ma and one is 12v 1A. These measure between 15v and 16.5v on a meter.

Do I need to worry about the amperage here? Will 750mA get the job done? Can I push 16 or 17v at the 7800 and not destroy the regulators and capacitors?

I have a NTSC power supply here in Germany - can't use it, because I live in PAL-land - but there is long way from Germany to Texas...

I have a NTSC power supply here in Germany - can't use it, because I live in PAL-land - but there is long way from Germany to Texas...

I lived in PAL-land myself for some time. Appreciate the sentiment.

I would like to get my hands on a Competition Pro joystick someday. I hear they are much easier to find in your part of the world . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up using a 12v power supply and soldering on the correct tip from my rattly old original psu. It tested as putting out about 12.4v which is about 1v less than the original psu. So far, I don't think there is any effect of the different voltage.