IGNORED

Dispute with Seller over shipping

SoulBlazer

So I got a problem going on with a item I recently sold. It was on Amazon, not EBay, but the policies and what happened are almost the same for both sites.

I sell a bunch of stuff on Amazon on a regular basis, mostly used. This one item I sold recently was new, or I thought it was. See, I had purchased from another Amazon user a copy of Left 4 Dead for Windows a few months ago. The game was advertised as being new. Between when I bought the game and when it came, I happened to luck across a cheaper copy of the game for XBox 360 so when the PC game came, I never opened it or bothered with it, just tossed it to one side. The game was indeed shrinkwrapped, like it was brand new.

Fast forward to recently, I put the game up for sale as new, not a lot money ($10). Game sells, I ship it out.

Now, Amazon automaticaly charges the buyer a shipping fee also, so you get money both for the item and for shipping it (minus Amazon's cut). Most people buy 'standard' shipping, which for a game is 1st Class Mail, and this is how it went out. However, the Amazon fee and the shipping fee almost always just about cancel each other out (so I never 'really' got any shipping money). All together about $3 to ship it.

A few days later, the buyer sends me a e-mail saying the game wasn't actually new. He said the game actually used, as the code to play online had already been used and he could not play the game online, which was the main reason he bought it. Now, I didn't know that (Like I said, I bought the game MARKED as new, an it SEEMED new) and I never opened it, but I realized it was technicaly my fault so I wanted to take care of the situation.

I apoligized to the buyer and told him that if he would ship the game back to me I would issue him a refund.

The seller refused, saying that he shouldn't have to pay the cost for shipping the game back to me. He's willing to send it back, but he wants me to cover the bill for that. I argued that I was allready out of pocket $13 for the game ($10 to issue the refund, and $3 to ship it to him in the first place) so why should I have to cover that?

I want to settle the issue before he files a dispute, but I was just curious what you folks would do in this case and who you think is right.

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 1

As much as it sucks, kennybrooks is probably right. I've had a few auctions go south like this over the years (some where I knew the person was BS'ing), and it's just better to deal with it when it comes to small stuff. If it's taken to dispute, eBay will almost certainly side with the buyer (eBay has gone downhill for sellers ever since they took the ability to leave negative feedback to buyers away).

Just another reason eBay is almost always a last resort for me these days.

So I got a problem going on with a item I recently sold. It was on Amazon, not EBay, but the policies and what happened are almost the same for both sites.

I sell a bunch of stuff on Amazon on a regular basis, mostly used. This one item I sold recently was new, or I thought it was. See, I had purchased from another Amazon user a copy of Left 4 Dead for Windows a few months ago. The game was advertised as being new. Between when I bought the game and when it came, I happened to luck across a cheaper copy of the game for XBox 360 so when the PC game came, I never opened it or bothered with it, just tossed it to one side. The game was indeed shrinkwrapped, like it was brand new.

Fast forward to recently, I put the game up for sale as new, not a lot money ($10). Game sells, I ship it out.

Now, Amazon automaticaly charges the buyer a shipping fee also, so you get money both for the item and for shipping it (minus Amazon's cut). Most people buy 'standard' shipping, which for a game is 1st Class Mail, and this is how it went out. However, the Amazon fee and the shipping fee almost always just about cancel each other out (so I never 'really' got any shipping money). All together about $3 to ship it.

A few days later, the buyer sends me a e-mail saying the game wasn't actually new. He said the game actually used, as the code to play online had already been used and he could not play the game online, which was the main reason he bought it. Now, I didn't know that (Like I said, I bought the game MARKED as new, an it SEEMED new) and I never opened it, but I realized it was technicaly my fault so I wanted to take care of the situation.

I apoligized to the buyer and told him that if he would ship the game back to me I would issue him a refund.

The seller refused, saying that he shouldn't have to pay the cost for shipping the game back to me. He's willing to send it back, but he wants me to cover the bill for that. I argued that I was allready out of pocket $13 for the game ($10 to issue the refund, and $3 to ship it to him in the first place) so why should I have to cover that?

I want to settle the issue before he files a dispute, but I was just curious what you folks would do in this case and who you think is right.

My counter to your point is why should a buyer be liable for financial costs due to something that was entirely your fault? It's not like he changed his mind or even that he was being nitpicky about condition or something of that nature. You represented that the item was new and that presumably it would work if he installed it in a compatible system and that turned out not to be accurate. Sure, maybe you were initially duped by the person that sold it to you, but assuming the buyer is being honest, it's really not his fault in any way and he shouldn't have to pay to send the item back to you.

Possible the guy that sold it to you didnt know about the code problem either.

I know best buy "reconditions" all their used games, which basically means shrinkwrapping them, and maybe including a generic 1 page manual if the original is missing.

So by them doing this you have no way to see if the original codes are gone/used or if the original manuals are missing. They wont let you open them at the store to check...even if they do it and once you buy it you cant return it for any reason other than if its not working for a trade in of the same game.

So possible its something that was had from a used situation like that.

Sorry to hear your troubles with it, probably a good reason for anyone reselling "new" games they are unsure on origin of to state they cannot guarantee that online codes are still current/valid.

With my TRS-80 auction coming to a close I've been concerned about disputes like these. I've heard stories where people have recieved the item, claimed they didnt recieve it and then the seller gets charged the money for the item by Ebay. Of course this usually only happens when you ship to foreign countries or across borders, so I will avoid that at all costs.

Of course this usually only happens when you ship to foreign countries or across borders, so I will avoid that at all costs.

If it it outright fraud, I think you are as likely to encounter it with U. S. buyers, from my experience. The buyer can fabricate almost anything and eBay will back them up most of the time.

Where I think you are more likely to run into issues with overseas buyers is shipping delays, lost packages, and the buyer refusing to pay the duty at customs.

• 2 weeks later...

The two options I can offer have already been mentioned. First was to refund the initial purchase price and just tell them to keep the game. That eliminates them havingt to pack it and go ship it, and it eliminates having to pay for return shipping.

Second is what you did--pay the return shipping. It stinks, but the issue is with the person who sold it to you to begin with. I chose to eat the cost of return shipping when I had a hard disk returned to me that I realized I had left a password on. On another occasion, I forgot to include an item, so I had to pay shipping a second time. In both cases the buyers worked with me.

People goof from time to time, and if you're running an online business, you're gonna have some goof ups. Just apologize and correct 'em. As soon as the next sale is made, you've got back what you lost on that return shipping.

Yeah, I refunded the money days ago and got the game back in the mail yesterday. I'll probably list it up for sale again at some point, this time saying something pretty close to 'used game -- playable in single player mode ONLY, online code for Multi player has been used'. Won't get much for it, but I'd rather it goes to someone who will play it then just tossing it. (I'm perfectly happy with my Xbox 360 copy).