IGNORED

Fatal Out Run

YANDMAN

A couple of weeks ago it was being discussed on here about possible racing games that could be converted to the 7800 possibly to utilise the new XM, Well iv'e been playing quite a bit of Fatal run lately and i wondered could this game not be hacked into a really good racer? Now i have no programming knowledge so what im saying may not be possible but from an observation point it appears to have all the ingredients.

The dash display on the bottom of the screen is excellent and far exceeds the likes of rad racer on the NES, Two of the enemy vehicles are a Ferrari testarossa and a Porsche 911 with another resembling a Jaguar xj220, I'm assuming that you could mod these sprites to be the controllable cars?

The game already has a good feel of speed but with a few added road side details, trees, Signs this could be greatly improved, The engine note isn't great but it isn't bad obviously the extra xm power could put something great into place.

Remove the weapons side of the game but keep the mid race upgrades for all the normal items , tyres, engine etc.

The in-between level looking out the car window but is awesome and should remain but just maybe remove the deceased headstones and add more waving people.

Well that's pretty much it, As i said i have no programming knowledge so i have no idea how hard this is or if its even possible but it just seemed to me that this has a lot of good ingredients and a great starting base for a hack, It was the detail on the Ferrari testarossa sprite that made me think......Out Run!

Well it would be awesome if one of the talented programmers here took this on or at least i think so.

Yan

It sounds a cool idea but I don't know what really should be done with Fatal Run.

To me the game has many things but it's boring. That's the main problem and I don't have a clear idea of what it needs.

I think the races are too long... the side view from your car should be shorter too.

I miss some racing competition, i.e., computer doesn't overtake you offen.

I'm not sure about the weapons, maybe not that much weapons and fighting and a bit more racing.

Even with new engines, weapons, etc. I don't really feel I'm advancing in the game. I always feel I'm just starting another looong trip and that's a bit boring.

I would love to see this game more enjoyable. It has some good potential.

Well i actually think you would find the game a lot more fun if the game play felt better and by giving this a really good engine note and increasing the feeling of speed via roadside objects this could be achieved, As i said remove all the fighting mechanics apart from the body damage, leave all the body, tyres , fuel etc still purchasable in the shop, make the other cars controllable and as for the interlude part looking out of the window i actually enjoy it and if you don't you can just hit fire as you don't have to wait for it to run its course.

i really think this could be cool, the basic game engine works well and plays smoothly

Well i actually think you would find the game a lot more fun if the game play felt better and by giving this a really good engine note and increasing the feeling of speed via roadside objects this could be achieved, As i said remove all the fighting mechanics apart from the body damage, leave all the body, tyres , fuel etc still purchasable in the shop, make the other cars controllable and as for the interlude part looking out of the window i actually enjoy it and if you don't you can just hit fire as you don't have to wait for it to run its course.

i really think this could be cool, the basic game engine works well and plays smoothly

I disagree with removing the fighting mechanics, if anything I think an increase would be better. If the enemies were more aggressive and used weapons I think it could be quite a bit more fun. And this is really a stretch but a new weapon or two would be another way to improve it, for example spikes that extend from the tires to make ramming more viable. Then we could even get CRAZIER and add a new enemy vehicle type or two motorcycles, and trucks. Trucks would have a 50 cal mounted to the back, so you'd want to destroy them or get past them as fast as possible, and motorcycles would come up and stay along side of you with the driver hitting your vehicle with a melee weapon, or shooting close range, they could then speed off and come back.

The bread and butter of the game is driving to each city. If anything needs to be made more enjoyable its that.

With all that said though, for a totally separate game I like your ideas Star Raider.

Yeah that or test drive!! I am still dreaming about motor psycho turned into segas hang on!!

The 7800 is lacking good racing games..

What really trips me out is when y'all gang up on me whenever I make a suggestion or request, YET YOU GUYS KEEP ON DOING THE SAME THING YOURSELVES.....LOL...........

HOW HYPOCRITICAL OF SOME OF YOU.

THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD FOR IDEA PEDDLING SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE THE IDEA TO THE PEDDLERS THREAD.

AIN'T THAT WHAT YOU GUYS ALWAYS TELL ME?

YOU SPECIFICALLY ARE THE MAIN ONE THAT CRITICISES ME FOR DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOUR DOING RIGHT NOW........

:(

Edited by Stun Runner 87
  • Like 1

What really trips me out is when y'all gang up on me whenever I make a suggestion or request, YET YOU GUYS KEEP ON DOING THE SAME THING YOURSELVES.....LOL...........

HOW HYPOCRITICAL OF SOME OF YOU.

THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD FOR IDEA PEDDLING SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE THE IDEA TO THE PEDDLERS THREAD.

AIN'T THAT WHAT YOU GUYS ALWAYS TELL ME?

YOU SPECIFICALLY ARE THE MAIN ONE THAT CRITICISES ME FOR DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOUR DOING RIGHT NOW........

:(

umm hello i anit the one that said that.. Maybe it was someone else??

I can be a bitch but this time it wasnt me..

The only thing about Fatal Run that ever bothered me was the car. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good game and if there's source code, I suppose the engine could be used for some other great games. Road Rash anyone?

There's a problem with just hacking the rom though. It seems that if you change anything in the game, it will crash after the title screen. I posted about this a couple years ago when I tried changing the player's car sprite. There are a few 7800 games like this. Midnight Mutants is another one. If you change just one byte, it won't load. (and no, the problem isn't that I didn't sign the binary).

jaynz and zbane both jabbed you about making this and that game threads see sinistar and check it out. I think people should make threads on this kinda stuff now and then. wont hurt anyone..we at least got a constructive reply from kevin who knows about hacking.

Edited by Jinks

The only thing about Fatal Run that ever bothered me was the car. Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good game and if there's source code, I suppose the engine could be used for some other great games. Road Rash anyone?

There's a problem with just hacking the rom though. It seems that if you change anything in the game, it will crash after the title screen. I posted about this a couple years ago when I tried changing the player's car sprite. There are a few 7800 games like this. Midnight Mutants is another one. If you change just one byte, it won't load. (and no, the problem isn't that I didn't sign the binary).

Ahh thanks kevin well i guess that gives me all my answers and puts this vision to bed, too bad as i thought it could of been nice, thanks for clearing that up.