IGNORED

Atari 7800 Rom Display (sprite ripper)

Loktar

I've wanted to remake some 7800 games for the longest time using js/canvas but didn't feel like taking screen grabs of everything. I saw in a pretty old thread Propane13 made an app that rips the sprites basically by dumping and displaying the raw data. Unfortunately the qbasic code included wasn't the code to do that, so I decided to recreate it using JS.

Currently it only supports 160A mode and the select able colors on the color pallet were taken from Trebors NTSC pallet.

Atari Rom Display

Source if anyone wants to check it out/hack on it

asteroids.png

Example of the output

Anyway I figured some other people might get use out of this, I plan on expanding it to support 2600 games which is really simple, and possibly some of the other 7800 modes. Was even considering an onscreen editor for manipulating pixels, which then allows you to save out the bins. Not sure the feasibility in this but might be fun to do.

• Like 2

Hi

Looks a Little bit like TILEMOLESTER

Is there an offline Version available?

greetings Walter

I couldn't find an app that did this for Atari 7800 carts, even looked at emu's. Does TileMolester do 7800 roms? Just did a quick search and couldn't find much on it, if so this was still a good learning experience I suppose :). There isn't an offline vs currently if people wanted I could make an offline vs, however an easy way to run it locally if your on windows is to download the repository from github, and install something like xampp, and you can run it locally.

download.png

iesposta thats an easter egg in Asteroids check out how to do it here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/108699-did-you-guys-know-there-was-an-easter-egg-in-asteroids/

Hi Loktar

Yes,Tilemolester can do 7800 roms,if you know how it works.Cause it was not made for 7800 roms.An offline version of your Rom program would be great.Btw, is it possible to save the changes,i make in a game?

greetings Walter

Not currently that was a feature I was considering adding, I might work on an offline vs + saving changes this week for the heck of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

any News for an offline Version,with possibility to save?

greetings Walter

Hey gambler, I haven't had too much of a chance to work on it lately :? Its kind of hard to get the motivation when the tool does what I intended it to do :P.

Nice to see my crappy QB code was inspiring. :) Sorry I didn't include the right source, but that's all right.

Glad to see that you did this-- it's actually quite fun to find these "secrets".

I hope at least the journey itself was worth the time invested.

If you ever put more power behind it, it'd be cool.

-John

• Like 1