IGNORED

Some POKEY music to get back into things

rockman_x_2002

So as some of you know, I've composed a few tunes for the ongoing U.N. Squadron 7800 project, but it's been a while since I touched RTM and POKEY music making in general.

In returning to it, I wanted to really capture the classic Capcom style of music, since U.N. Squadron was made by them. I chose a tune from Mega Man 3 to do this, and I thought I would share the results with everyone else to get some feedback.

Files are attached in various formats inside the ZIP to hopefully accommodate everybody (RTM, XEX, and SAP). Note that this is designed with an NTSC system in mind, so playing the RMT file in RMT should yield the best results by checking "NTSC system speed 60Hz" under configuration.

Listening to the SAP will be slower since apparently the exporting process converts it to 50Hz PAL, and I don't know how to fix it to NTSC. I haven't tried the XEX file as I don't have an emulator set up for that, but I did go through the export process in RTM and have posted it up for anyone that would like to use it.

megaman3_wily3_4.zip

Love that! I am a huge mega man fan ...

I would love to see a port of that to the 7800 ... perhaps a port of the MegaMan unlimited pc game (fan made and not officially sanctioned by Capcom) which is being released next month to commemorate MM's 25th anniversary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E50n-N1WIaU

Capcom seems to be allowing this, maybe they might not mind a 7800 port of this as well.

http://megaphilx.com/?page_id=26

Edited by Synthpopalooza

• 1 month later...

Rather than make a new thread, I'll add on to this one since we're still dealing with music, and POKEY music in particular.

Before, I had been at work trying to capture the classic Capcom "feel" through the POKEY chip. This time for a change, I decided to try something from the Konami stable instead, just to see how that might sound on the ol' POKEY, so I covered the first stage for the NES version of Contra.

The results are in the attached zip file. RMT, SAP, and XEX files included (best played using RASTER Music Tracker in NTSC mode).

contra_stg1.zip

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds nice! Kinda reminds me of the Sega Master System... Did the SMS use Pokey?

Nah, the SMS used a clone of the Texas Instruments SN76489A, itself an update to the SN76489 which was used in arcade games, the Colecovision, the TI-99 4/A, and many other computer systems of the day. The SMS also made use of a Yamaha YM2413 for those games which had FM synthesis.

In contrast, the POKEY was used in Atari hardware, including their arcade games, the 5200, the 7800, and their 8-bit computers.

Similar, but far different chipsets. Although some bootleg arcade games got things a bit mixed up. Here's a video of a bootleg version of the arcade Tetris (originally by Atari), which demonstrates the incompatibility. The original game used the POKEY, but this bootleg has an SN76489 instead. However, the bootleggers didn't bother changing the ROMs from the original, so the original POKEY music data is being run through an SN76489. The results are horrifying at best... :-o

Edited by rockman_x_2002
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back to work again this month, and this time it's a little more upbeat tune, again from the Mega Man franchise.

This is "We're the Robots" from Mega Man 9, the second Wily stage.

Here's a youtube video to the original "NES" tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4PAkrAVpQ

Included in the zip you'll find an RMT file as well as an MP3 for hassle-free listening. If you load the RMT, you'll need to make sure you're playing it using NTSC timing or it'll be a wee bit too slow.

megaman9_weretherobots.zip