IGNORED

Homebrew game that stops working..

Ska_music_fan83

Hi so I'm hoping since this is a large community that other people have had similar experiences...

So I bought a homebrew game, Plutos, and it worked perfectly for the first month I had it and then I got busy and didn't play Atari again for about another month. But this time when I played it, the game went to a black screen after completing the first boss. I cleaned it and tried the game again, same thing happened where it went to a black screen after beating the first boss. I tried the game in another Atari 7800 that I own and the same thing happened still.

I've cleaned the game as much as possible and even cleaned the system, but all of my other games (7800 and 2600) work perfectly fine, I don't own any other homebrew games so I don't know if its a homebrew issue.

I don't understand why the game would just randomly start malfunctioning after working perfectly when I originally got it...

Any ideas on what it is? Or what I can do? I absolutely LOVE the game and am saddened that its turned unplayable. :(

Plutos isn't a homebrew game.

The Plutos cartridge you got actually is a reproduction of a prototype. Plutos was being developed for the Atari 7800 in 1990 by Tynesoft. The game was supposed to be released in 1990 or 1991 matter of fact. The game itself was known to crash was it was discovered and that problem was fixed in 2008.

I can tell you the game itself was patched in order to make the game work on regular Atari 7800 systems because the game was only able to run on a 7800 developers kit only.

The only thing homebrew authors did with Plutos was do a patch for the game, so it could would a regular Atari 7800 system. The Patch on Plutos was done by 1 or 2 homebrew authors and another person in terms making a patch for the game to work

Edited by 8th lutz

I don't have a copy of Plutos, but I do have some homebrew 7800 games such as Pac-Man Collection. All my Atari 7800 homebrew games in my collection does work.

I think your problem isn't homebrew game related as a result.

So it's probably just an issue related to the actual copy of the game that I have then?

I'm gonna try it on a friend's 7800 soon and see if it works there, but I'm getting pretty doubtful that there is much I can do to salvage. :(

So it's probably just an issue related to the actual copy of the game that I have then?

I'm gonna try it on a friend's 7800 soon and see if it works there, but I'm getting pretty doubtful that there is much I can do to salvage. :(

Yes, I think it is just an issue relate to the actual copy of the game.

Edited by 8th lutz