IGNORED

Air Raiders is ALMOST good

StanJr

I mean really, this thing looks very cool, its a first person DOGFIGHTER game!!! But you only get 99 ammo and if you land, your ammo is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced? How is that fun? World's shortest game. Plus, you have a ceiling of 99 possible kills, no more.

Man, M-Network was SOOOOO close with this one.... :sad:

Now waaaaaaiiiiiittttt a minute.... :D

But you only get 99 ammo and if you land, your ammo is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced?

You only get 99 ammo to start, and yes, your ammo COULD be greatly reduced...but have you noticed that when you take off again, your new ammo level is the same as the number of planes you shot down with your original 99 shots?? Suddenly, a whole new strategy opens up!! You have to be a lot more selective of your targets. You just can't go Maverick on every rogue plane. Think more like a sniper. You have to scout out formations, and dare into the flak zone even more often!!

How is that fun? World's shortest game. Plus, you have a ceiling of 99 possible kills, no more.

Like I stated above, if you are more judicious with your shots, you can score well over 99 (although, if memory serves, it rolls at that point...it may not though, been too long). I found an old paper with my old high scores (what a great memory that was!!) My best on Air Raiders was 122.

Hope that helps add some more life into that one Stan. It's one of my top 10 favorites (although I always forget it when we do those lists on here...)

Yeah, but its a DOG FIGHT! I wanna just go up and shoot shoot shoot! I don't want to budget my shots! I mean, if I shoot 11 planes with 11 shots and then land, I lose 77 units of ammo, just for landing!

I get the strategy, I just don't think its that much fun in a game that proposes to be a DOG FIGHT. You should get more ammo when you land, like maybe ammo = to the # of planes you hit before you land. That way you could KEEP fighting and only lose when you get shot down, not run out of bullets.

Just me, though, Scooter, I do agree its a neat game, but I need more SHOOTING! :D

Hi there!

...and doubles the fun :D

Why not completely unlimited ammo then? ;)

That's not realistic. But completely reloading the gun is. :D

BTW: Instead of doing a BCD : 3 or BCD : 5 division, one could just raise the minimum # of required hits. Currently it is 10, but raising that to 33 and you have your 1:3 hit/ammo ratio for example, if this is the strategy you want ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

If you really enjoy this type of game you should try Spitfire Attack, it is EXCELLENT especially when using a real joystick instead of the controller it came with :-) and it has ground AND air targets :-) nice 3d effects too.

I agree, though, I've always loved the way Air Raiders played. But I definately agree that it's ammo rules greatly inhibt its fun and replayability.

• 6 months later...

Wow, this game IS pretty good.

I have had the cart for a while, but it's been one of those that just got shoved into the stacks without much attention. I just played a full game of it in Stella for the first time and found it a lot of fun. I only scored 15 before I got shot down, but a good start.

I'll have to play the real thing later!

Bit o' Trivia: Mattel sold a handheld version of Air Raiders called Star Hawk (no relation to the Cinematronics arcade game). You were flying a spaceship instead of an airplane, but the gameplay was essentially identical.

http://users2.ev1.net/~rik1138/Mattel/SH.htm

http://www.miniarcade.com/bandai/starhawk.htm

If you really enjoy this type of game you should try Spitfire Attack' date=' it is EXCELLENT especially when using a real joystick instead of the controller it came with :-) and it has ground AND air targets :-) nice 3d effects too.

I agree, though, I've always loved the way Air Raiders played. But I definately agree that it's ammo rules greatly inhibt its fun and replayability.[/quote']

I'm a fan of Spitfire Attack as well. One of the first games I reach for when I want a good dogfight. To me, Spitfire is more of a pure action game than Air Raiders: you only have to worry about avoiding enemy fire and blasting the bad guys to smithereens. Air Raiders requires a much more careful approach to succeed. Still there are times when I really enjoy the challenge Air Raiders offers. I guess it just depends on what you're in the mood for at the time. :)

If you really enjoy this type of game you should try Spitfire Attack' date=' it is EXCELLENT especially when using a real joystick instead of the controller it came with :-) and it has ground AND air targets :-) nice 3d effects too.

I agree, though, I've always loved the way Air Raiders played. But I definately agree that it's ammo rules greatly inhibt its fun and replayability.[/quote']

I'm a fan of Spitfire Attack as well. One of the first games I reach for when I want a good dogfight. To me, Spitfire is more of a pure action game than Air Raiders: you only have to worry about avoiding enemy fire and blasting the bad guys to smithereens. Air Raiders requires a much more careful approach to succeed. Still there are times when I really enjoy the challenge Air Raiders offers. I guess it just depends on what you're in the mood for at the time. :)

Yea, I actually really like Air Raiders too. Its one of the few really tactical games on the 2600. I mentioned Spitfire, because I think air raiders and spitfire are perfect 'chasers' for each other :-) I also love the mattel hand held version zylon was mentioning, I've had it ever since I was a kid. IIRC it was one of the very first color VFDs... I still enjoy the take off sequence in it.