IGNORED

Pro System Emulator / Windows 8

bfollett

I'm running 64bit Windows 8 and I'm wondering if the following is a problem on all versions of Windows or specific to my Windows 8 set up. If I'm running a game with Pro System Emulator and I move the emulator window, the sound gets messed up and I hear a lot of static like noise along with the game sounds. Is this a known issue? I read in another post that there is a beta of a new release of Pro system. I'd like to see if the problem persists in the current beta. Is it available to the general public? If so, can someone point me to where I can download it.

Thanks,

Bob

The pro system emulator hasn't been updated for a long time. That's probably the main problem. The last update was in 2008. Even before windows 7. Maybe try combatibility settings. Also I honestly don't think there is a beta for it either. I looked all over for it, but I didn't see one. If your willing to try a different emulator, I'd try EMU 7800. It's still being updated. Last update was spring of this year(2013). And it's designed for windows 8!

http://emu7800.sourceforge.net/

There is a private release (1.5 or 1.6 - Not sure the version number) that hopefully will see the light of day after the XM is out. The last public release (1.3x) has the same issues under Windows 7 as Windows 8.

Especially fun is trying to run full screen. It forces an 8-bit video mode which has been completely eliminated from Windows. You could try modifying the ini file manually for some values, but it may "reset" or wind up not working all the time due to the old(er) library it relies on for graphics and sound.

The "sad" thing is if you have a Wii and download the ProSystem emulator right now for it, there are many fixes not present in the publicly released Windows version. :?

To perhaps help to some degree the sound issues you are having, try increasing the Sample Rate and/or decrease the Latency setting to Very Low or even None, and see if that makes a difference.

However, you can get some great palettes for it now here :-D

Oh, and to fix the static right away or only for window changes, try toggling the file menu bar (Press 'Esc'). Make it appear/disappear...That seems to "fix" it for the systems that have a window move while playing from my experience.

I tried adjusting the sample rate and latency settings as suggested but they did not help. The esc key does help though, so thanks for that suggestion. I also downloaded emu7800. I can see that it is not going to be without issues either. At least for starters, it seems to be interfering with some of my keyboard functions. I tried using the increase/decrease volume dial on my keyboard and it does not work while emu7800 is running.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob