IGNORED

Codes stamped in the back of 5200 controllers

Video_Invader

What is up with the many different codes stamped in the back of 5200 controllers? Over the many years, i've figured out, if your controllers have the same code as the bottom of the console, then they are original to that unit. My system has EP 163 on the bottom of it and one of my controllers has the same. Two other controllers i have are SV 462. Now i'm wondering if the first two characters represent where the were manufactured. SV standing for SunnyVale, etc. or is it something else.

What astounds me is that, given how brief the 5200 was on the market, that there are at least three countries of origin stamped on 5200 controllers: Taiwan, USA and Mexico. Seems like if they spent as much time improving the damn things as they did shopping around for low-cost production, it might have worked a little better.

• Like 1

What astounds me is that, given how brief the 5200 was on the market, that there are at least three countries of origin stamped on 5200 controllers: Taiwan, USA and Mexico. Seems like if they spent as much time improving the damn things as they did shopping around for low-cost production, it might have worked a little better.

Yeah I've noticed that too.