IGNORED

"Cloak & Dagger" returns. IF you believe it...

LynxVGL

Well this doesn't do anything to boost my opinion of eBay.

I feel sorry for the ripped off buyer.

Most of my experiences buying and selling (more often buying) on eBay have been positive. I was on it back before it was commonly known. I only got ripped off once on some Doctor Who DVDs - turned out I got a bunch of fakes. But I was able to get my money back.

Amazing how often the internet just puts a spotlight on the worst aspects of humanity.

Well this doesn't do anything to boost my opinion of eBay.

I feel sorry for the ripped off buyer.

Most of my experiences buying and selling (more often buying) on eBay have been positive. I was on it back before it was commonly known. I only got ripped off once on some Doctor Who DVDs - turned out I got a bunch of fakes. But I was able to get my money back.

Amazing how often the internet just puts a spotlight on the worst aspects of humanity.

The internet is just like every other aspect in life, there will always be people who look to abuse or misuse things to their advantage without any care or concern for how it will affect others. I personally enjoy the feeling I get from helping others and knowing that karma exists. Although it would be rockin' to see each one of these people get what's coming them (like a YouTube for assholes) I am comforted knowing they will get it back 10 fold whether I see it or not. m/

Edited by Hyperboy

I hate those that make us sellers look bad. I'm a guy who takes eBay very seriously. I enjoy it, and customer satisfaction is very important to me. If you see this guy's history, he is making about $1k scamming people. How does he sleep?

I like his paragraph telling this site we don't know jack. This place is an Atari Anthology!

There are still fine sellers out there, please don't write off eBay yet.

Edited by Seethransom

I was on it back before it was commonly known. I only got ripped off once on some Doctor Who DVDs - turned out I got a bunch of fakes. But I was able to get my money back.

I've also been scammed with fake DVDs. This happened to me TWICE, buying expensive box sets for a show, so I've stopped buying DVDs altogether on eBay. Now I'm skeptical of pretty much anything being original versus a crappy copy. This happens quite often on Amazon.com as well--you really need to be careful depending on what you buy (for instance, this is a huge problem with batteries, as well as Apple accessories such as power supplies).

..Al

The fool was stupid enough to insult folks here at AA as not knowing what they're talking about, which only made his situation worse 10 fold. If some clueless person bites, it won't be anyone here at AA, that's all that matters. I don't like to see anyone get ripped off. But if someone buys something as being super rare, a one of a kind holy grail piece without doing research and authenticating, and turns out to be fake? that's their unfortunate bad luck. There are lots of rip off artists out there, it's up to the consumer to be vigilant and smart about what they are buying. It's pretty foolish being a collector without having knowledge of what's real or fake. I always go with my gut instinct, if something seems too good to be true, chances are very high it isn't. This guy quickly found out not everyone's a fish that's easily hooked. Anyone can be ripped off, and everyone has sometime. It's been a learning experience for me as well, as I've been ripped in the past. IMO, one should't feel stupid or ashamed, crooks can be very convincing beyond belief.

Edited by Rik
  • Like 1

That's not really the point. As we all know, there is no 5200 Cloak & Dagger game. It could be any game, or no game at all, inside the cart.

The problem is he's claiming this is a movie prop - that THIS cartridge was used in the movie. That's clearly a lie. He can't back it up or support it.

He probably just made a label and slapped it on any 5200 cartridge shell.

That it's been allowed to remain listed is troubling.

I know what your saying its fake and he had broke the law. To bad for the user

Well, as long as the lucky buyer keeps it in his own possession and never knows the truth he can be happy thinking he has an authentic movie prop.

Hopefully he'll never try to sell it or capitalize on it. Heaven forbid it was bought as an "investment."

Remember the Seinfeld episode? "It's an Entenmann's." ;)

Yeah, I'll bet there's many collectors out there who have things believed to be the cream of the crop, and are fake. A while ago, there was a news report about illegal counterfeit products. Sly Stallone was mentioned as a victim of counterfeit artwork. He in this case was duped into buying several famous (supposedly) for several MILLIONS of dollars, all fake reproductions done by a master forger. It was unbelievable at how well of a job the forger did at repainting the fakes. He even accounted for aging with complicated aging techniques using special chemicals, the type of medium used at the time, etc. Everything but one minute thing that gave them away. If it weren't for the equally adept investigating done by the counterfeit experts, he'd still be thinking he had the real paintings. He just never thought of authenticating them before purchase which isn't always possible, I think they were bought at auction. Auctions aren't always %100 reliable either.

At this point, someone should just code a version of the game so that things like this don't happen anymore.

If it was available through AtariAge and had the AtariAge insignia, people would come here and check the prices first. It would eliminate price gouging by people like this for fake products.

Someone should just tweet Henry Thomas.

Speaking of Henry Thomas. I saw Henry in Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes, DVD set. This is a compilation of about 10 mini horror stories. His is called " The End Of The Whole Mess " I didn't know he was in it, or that he was still acting. As soon as i saw him, i recognized him right away, from seeing him in Cloak and Dagger. He looks exactly the same, well older obviously, but the same baby face features are there. The DVD came out in 2006, he looks great, for a guy his age, looks younger than he actually is. Henry obviously didn't do drugs and took care of himself, if he looks that good today, STILL.

Un-fucking-believable.

I reported it as well, but it seems that is useless given eBay's lack of action on the last "one of a kind" holy grail auction. Any suggestions on what options to choose to best report it?

This guy is just human trash.

I hope anyone looking at that auction has the sense to google search and comes across this thread and sees this is a complete and total fake. I also trust the majority of those who would be interested in such things would know better.

HEY - If this is a real movie prop - I challenge the seller to open the cartridge and show the inside. Even if it's not real or working, there should be the "secret chip" inside, right?

Also, doesn't the cartridge in the movie have some thin blue outlining/shadows around the lettering? This second fake auction cearly does not. (The first did not either, think it's the same images.)

There's this clip in the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjZ717HtRy0.

Took a few tries to freeze it where the blue lines are visible.

The auction is a FAKE FAKE FAKE. And the seller is a THIEF THIEF THIEF.

Edited by Brian R.

Looks like the seller has blocked questions? When I tried asking where he got the second copy from, I got this:

We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing.