IGNORED

Stupid Question Department: Daisychaining controller extension cables

GoldenWheels

I'm building kind of a remote arcade cab/kiosk thing that is about 10 feet away from my entertainment center/closet. The brain for it (a soft modded xbox using ps2 controller converter plugs) lives in the closet. I need to get controller input from the arcade sticks in the cabinet to the Xbox. It looks like (hiding the wires in the wall where it has to go up down and around, etc) I will have to use about 3 three 6ft PS2 Extension extension cables per stick to accomplish this.

So my stupid Q is: will daisychaining these things together cause me any issues? lag, etc? I know in conversations in regards to almost any cord type the explanation is usually that data travels so fast it has to be a ridiculous distance away before you notice anything but I'd like to know for sure (if possible) before I buy the cables--because if this wont' work I have to move the xbox into the cab (really don't want to) I won't need ANY extensions cables.

Thanks! Sorry as I know this is barely a hardware Q but I couldn't see a better spot for it.

http://www.avsforum....ons-using-cat-5

Max length of an unpowered usb cable (xbox uses a usb like interface) is 5 meters (16 feet) depending on cable type and thickness.

Hmmm....with the sticks actual cord length included then (hidden but must be usable, not in wall, because I want to be able to pull it out detachable style to play on my lap) I am about an extension cord past the limit then. Damn. I am sure the converter box being inline doesn't help either, though it is only like 6 inches of cord. Might seep some juice I imagine.

I'll have to see if I can get a much straighter run to the cab and eliminate one of the extensions. Don't think I can though. Poop. Really don't want to put the xbox in the cabinet itself...though in that case all I'd need to run back to the cabinet is a long component cable--at least I know that will work. I think.

Thanks seob!

how bout switching over to wireless, my xbox1 logitech wireless controller works on the other side of the apartment?

also ps2 is sync serial up until it hits your converter box, which is in essence acting like a repeater, so get a extention to it, letting it sit somewhere in the middle then use playstation extenders to the end goal

how bout switching over to wireless, my xbox1 logitech wireless controller works on the other side of the apartment?

also ps2 is sync serial up until it hits your converter box, which is in essence acting like a repeater, so get a extention to it, letting it sit somewhere in the middle then use playstation extenders to the end goal

I am not averse to wireless at all but the point here was to use arcade sticks in an arcade cabinet/stand that is remote from the actual system.

Oddly, every one of my PS2 controllers works through the converter (Sony, off brands) save my baby, my absolute favorite PS2 controller--a cordless Logitech model.

The last bit is interesting, I want to be sure I understand correctly. It would look like this in sequence I think:

XBOX system TO Xbox controller extension cable TO Xbox/PS2 controller converter box TO PS2 extension cables (X2) TO the arcade sticks. Right? Thanks for the idea Osgeld!

I happened upon a lot of PS2 extensions on ebay for a dollar a piece. Even though I had to get 18 of them (!) I can at least try to do the PS2 setup economically now and see what happens. I needed extensions until I finish the cabinet itself anyway....the Playtech arcade sticks I bought don't even have long enough cords to reach my couch.

I believe that the OG Xbox uses an input standard very similar to USB, so an Xbox to PC adapter might be your best bet.

In what sense do you mean Jess? These particular sticks do work for PS2, PS3 and PC (USB). So I could use a PC to Xbox converter. But I already have the PS2 converters and they work with these sticks. Do you think using all USB would help the run length somehow? That's my real bugaboo, how many cords I have to chain together.