IGNORED

The two versions of Zaxxon for A8 (16k and 32/48k A800 version)

oky2000

I don't own either yet but when I do search for it I seem to only find the 16k version on tape or cart. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the low and high memory versions are as screenshots via google image search don't look different?

Also is the 32/48k version available on tape or is it a disk only title?

I bought the 16k tape back in the day and remember being pretty disappointed when I first booted it up. Anyhow, the only difference that I am aware of is that the 32k version has the missiles that shoot up out of the ground. I think it was only available on disk.

The tape version I had looked just like pictures 1-6, which they are calling the Sega cartridge version. There must have been a Sega tape version. Or possibly the 16k Datasoft version was the same as the Sega cart version.

I had the tape version growing up and my friend had the cart version and they were exactly the same (other than the load time). It wasn't a Sega tape though, I'm pretty sure it was Datasoft. It had to be 16K because I only had a 400 with 16K back then. I have the tape version around here somewhere.

I had the tape version growing up and my friend had the cart version and they were exactly the same (other than the load time). It wasn't a Sega tape though, I'm pretty sure it was Datasoft. It had to be 16K because I only had a 400 with 16K back then. I have the tape version around here somewhere.

I had a 16k 400 with 410 tape drive. Wouldn't get my 1st Atari floppy drive for another 30 years.

I suspect the dumbed down version of Zaxxon is the one they ported to the Atari 5200. It was frustrating, because the game looked pretty nice but there was just nothing going on in the castles you infiltrated. It was like the previous occupants took all their things and moved down the street.

Someone ought to bring the more complete version of the game to the 5200 is what I guess I'm saying.

I suspect the dumbed down version of Zaxxon is the one they ported to the Atari 5200. It was frustrating, because the game looked pretty nice but there was just nothing going on in the castles you infiltrated. It was like the previous occupants took all their things and moved down the street.

Someone ought to bring the more complete version of the game to the 5200 is what I guess I'm saying.

Yes, the 5200 version is the same as the 8-bit cartridge version. All Sega games were this way although some did add the option to allow you to move using the number pad.

Too many gameplay compromises on the 16kb version then so I will have to try and find the 48k version. The sooner the better because although the C64 UK version looks OK it sounds stupid with the gun sound being more like horses hooves going clippety clak on a cobblestone street in wales!!

I wonder if there is any CASS file or something that I could turn into a WAV and run on my 800XL in the meantime?

• 9 years later...
On 8/23/2013 at 9:28 AM, Tempest said:

I think the 32K version had a real battle with Zaxxon instead of the dummy that just sat there. I also think the AI in the ship fight between screens was better.

Resurrecting a dead thread, but I'm on a Zaxxon tear at the moment.

The differences between the 16K and 32K / 48K versions are pretty substantial.  The 16K version lacks the rockets that shoot upwards from the bunkers in the Zaxxon space station / lair.  Also on the 16K version, when you are fighting the planes in space, you are unable to ascend / descend - you stay at a fixed level.

Lastly, the Zaxxon robot looks like a Minion - it's utter crap.  It's not much better on the 32K / 48K, but much closer to the arcade game.

I'd say the 32K / 48K version rates like a 5.  The 16K version is like a 2.  It looks the part, but it pretty much misses the mark.

This is a game I wish someone would remake as I mentioned on another thread.