IGNORED

Stuff I found today

Brian R.

Wasn't sure where to put this, as it includes a 7800, a 400 computer and five 2600 games.

Been a while since I found a haul like this, especially finding 2600 games I didn't already have.

For $40 I got:

Atari 400 computer in box with styrofoam, box I'd say is in OK condition, not pristine, not torn to hell.

Atari 7800 WITH expansion port! I have 2 others, neither has the port. Includes the power supply.

Five 2600 games - Cosmic Commuter, Sentinel, Marine Wars, Commando (complete in nice box) and Beamrider.

Will have to get home, clean up and hook up to see if they work. Probably will, all look to be in good condition.

Did I do good?

• Like 1

I think I had Commando already, but didn't have my list with me. I know I did not have Beamrider.

This was an unexpected find. Dinky store had some books and crap out on tables on the sidewalk for sale - there were a couple original Playstations there. I asked if they had any Atari stuff, expecting to hear "No," but they said yes, and had a ton of stuff - the 400, 7800, a battered 2600 Vader, and a ton of 2600 games and many 7800 games. Games were in a milk crate, a plastic container made for 2600 carts, and a carrier for 8 track tapes.

I think I had Commando already, but didn't have my list with me. I know I did not have Beamrider.

This was an unexpected find. Dinky store had some books and crap out on tables on the sidewalk for sale - there were a couple original Playstations there. I asked if they had any Atari stuff, expecting to hear "No," but they said yes, and had a ton of stuff - the 400, 7800, a battered 2600 Vader, and a ton of 2600 games and many 7800 games. Games were in a milk crate, a plastic container made for 2600 carts, and a carrier for 8 track tapes.

Did you take any pictures of the battered Vader?

Did you take any pictures of the battered Vader?

Nope. I could. Any reason why?

Nothing about it looked exceptional or stood out to me. It was very dirty/dusty, and the front of it was rather scuffed up. I have several working 2600s and don't have much reason to buy it.

Edited by Brian R.

So far only checked out the 7800 and the 2600 carts.

The 7800 works.

Of the carts, of course it has to be Beamrider that doesn't seem to work. I have no idea why. The cartridge looks really good, decent label, clean contacts. Not sure what the problem could be. In my experience it's very rare to find a cart that doesn't work. Tried it on a 2600 and two 7800s.

I didn't have Commando. Was getting that confused with Front Line. They seem similar.

Edited by Brian R.

I can take back the part about Beamrider. It does work fine. Cleaning it more wasn't what did it, although I did. Seems I had to push it a bit more into the console - guess it wasn't in enough (oh the innuendo).

And the 400 works beautifully. And it looks awesome. I knew the one I had was discolored, but I didn't know how much. This new one looks pristine, and the box still has that new electronic smell inside. Plus it's fully intact - my other has a chunk missing from the plastic under the controller 3 port.

First 400 was about $12.50 off ebay, local pickup. This new one with box was $15.

UPDATE: Opened up the new 400 to do my usual cleaning. Usually expect to find some dust, dirt, etc. and see faded, rusted and corroded components. Not only was this thing clean inside, the components looked like they were built yesterday. It must've been packed away and stored in the styrofoam for who knows how long. Very neat!

Two questions about the 400, which I'll ask in the 8 bit forum if no one answers here:

1. There is a barcode sticker inside the cartridge housing, on the metal. I'm guessing that's not from back in the day, probably added later by someone for some reason - am I right?

2. My one 400 has a red "16K RAM" sticker on the bottom, this new one does not. Is there likely any difference in the RAM amount? I'm guessing they're both 16K, and the onen with the red sticker is older - maybe from when they came out with less than that, and to denote it had been upgraded?

Might be hidden in the serial numbers, denoting how old each is.

With red sticker has two numbers: "G 16K 281 6800" and "ww281/20"

One without a sticker has one: "491126 013"

Edited by Brian R.

Can't believe I didn't notice this before.

On the 7800 I got in this find, I just noticed that it has two "POWER" buttons - where the select button is, it says power.

I'm sure it's still a select button, but somehow has a button with the wrong label on it.

Can only wonder if it was made that way, or if someone made that change at some point.

Odd.

post-1990-0-46651100-1377413037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian R.

Can't believe I didn't notice this before.

On the 7800 I got in this find, I just noticed that it has two "POWER" buttons - where the select button is, it says power.

I'm sure it's still a select button, but somehow has a button with the wrong label on it.

Can only wonder if it was made that way, or if someone made that change at some point.

Odd.

Looks authentic, but it's not an "ULTRA RARE UNRELEASED PROTOTYPE" or anything. Simply a manufacturer's mistake.